Any news from Davis?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you guys!! Keep crossing your fingers. I believe there were 6 students for first round. Yesterday was the first day of interview and I was the first one. My interview went very well, you should know why you wanna be PA? There was no essay. Interview lasted for 30mints and followed by a tour. This yr they are taking only 40 students not 60. Staff was SUPER GREAT!! They were the nicest people on earth. I am wishing all of you Good Luck!!

Hello everybody,

I am a current student at the program. Today I talked to some faculty, and they told me that this year the program accepts only 20 students, PA and FNP altogether. Next year they expect to launch 27 months Masters program, so the Bachelor degree will be required to be accepted.

The important question to me is WHY they have decided to make such a drastic change. How many applicants did they get this cycle? To state that they accept 60 students (during the application cycle) and then seemingly suddenly they drop it to 20 (or even 40 for that matter) after the application cycle is closed, throws red flags up to me (unless of course the applicant pool was "just that bad"). Do a lot of schools do this?

• 3 weeks later...
The important question to me is WHY they have decided to make such a drastic change. How many applicants did they get this cycle? To state that they accept 60 students (during the application cycle) and then seemingly suddenly they drop it to 20 (or even 40 for that matter) after the application cycle is closed, throws red flags up to me (unless of course the applicant pool was "just that bad"). Do a lot of schools do this?

Hello, I'm a current 1st year at the UC Davis PA program. Its true that our program will only be accepting 20 students for the next class entering in 2011. Our program will be interviewing approximately 55 students, and accepting 20. The entering class in 2011 will still only be getting a certificate upon graduation. The entering class of 2012 will be getting a masters. The reason for the reduce number of students from 60 to 20 is because next year will be a transition year, so the program doesnt want to take too many students as they will be working on the transition to Masters program and that takes alot of work and planning on the faculty side.

I'm currently a second year student (only six more months to go!), and I thought I'd clarify even further. They are actually only accepting 17 students, plus three that were promised a return seat (they had to drop out of our class due to personal reasons), for a total of 20. I was told only 65 are to be interviewed for these spots. The limited amount of seats this year is due to the reduction of resources they will have available due to the shift to a master's program, which may or may not get accreditation approval right away. Keep in mind that some programs actually shut down their program during a transition such as this, so I think it speaks favorably of their commitment and dedication to the FNPPA program and its mission.

If you don't get one of those 17 seats this year, maybe waiting/getting accepted at next cycle and getting your graduate degree would be a nice consolation prize. ;-) I'm bummed to be only getting a certificate, but happy for all you future Davis students who will get the master's!

I am one of those students who will be returning in the Summer 2011(Org. from c/o 2012- had to leave due for family reasons) I still speak to my advisor and she told me, that the c/o 2013, may be able to receive their masters, if it works out the way the faculty hopes, nonetheless she said not to get my hopes up:(! But in terms of the c/o 2014 class, they will be a masters program. . .

• 2 weeks later...

To the very lucky PA students who seem to read this thread often (ha ha), what charity or community events are you guys ("yus guys" as said in my home town MI) participating in or organizing during the end of year/ season???!!! Can we help out or join in any community fundraisers that UC Davis PA students are actively doing right now or about to start?? That would be so incredible to hear about what the students are already doing to make a difference in the rural and underserved community!!!! That would be a dream come true to work on raising money with people I admire!! Yea! Also, I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty to help out and make a difference!

P.S. The Woodland, CA/ Yolo Food Bank is doing a great job helping the community and have been very successful serving rural community while cooperating with local farmers that contribute different produce for each month (month long)! They have been extremely successful making a difference! Great people to volunteer with at the Yolo Foodbank and awesome intentions to help others!

I can't wait to hear what the UC Davis PA students are actively doing to help in the community! Looking forward to hearing from anyone.

Sincerely,

Anne Trim

"And No Message Could Have

Been Any Clearer

If You Wanna Make The World

A Better Place

Take A Look At Yourself And

Then Make A Change" MJ

• 3 weeks later...

I have not head anything yet. I wish they would have let applicants know they were accepting less students this year. I did find this on their website, "There is a high probability that the FNP/PA Program will be changing the prerequisites for admission for the 2011 cycle which normally opens in April. If and when these changes are made, this message will be removed and all updated prerequisites and admission processes posted. If no changes are made you will no longer see this message. Unfortunately our faculty and staff will not be taking admissions questions at this time."

I have not heard anything yet regarding a decision.

I agree with you, JeninCA, about being more informed about the drastic decrease in the number of students accepted this year.

I hope to hear something soon! Any one have any idea when the absolute last interview date is?

Thank you guys!! Keep crossing your fingers. I believe there were 6 students for first round. Yesterday was the first day of interview and I was the first one. My interview went very well, you should know why you wanna be PA? There was no essay. Interview lasted for 30mints and followed by a tour. This yr they are taking only 40 students not 60. Staff was SUPER GREAT!! They were the nicest people on earth. I am wishing all of you Good Luck!!

Just curious - did you ever hear back regarding acceptance? I haven't heard that there was a round two for the interviews so from what I can tell only 6 students interviewed thus far. I am hoping that they are not going to cancel the class entering 2011 due to their their switch to a masters program, but they did say that they were going to conduct interviews Nov-Jan. Here we are at Jan 22 with what appears to be very little activity with the interview process over the past two months.

They told us not to contact them about interview related questions. They will contact us by first week of Feb.

I too had and interview, but I couldn't make the first week offered, so I went the next week. There were 6 people total that morning, so they might have finished the first round in Nov. and there were enough for them to have offering of attendance for the small class. I too am waiting for the "first week in February" to here.

Good luck to all.

If they are making it a masters level program I assume you'll need to have a bachelors degree to apply for next year. I just hope they don't up the chemistry requirements to include organic chem.

I hope they dont require a BA. It is obvious that a MA degree can be conferred if the student obtains enough units for a BA without actually receiving it. The PERFECT example is Texas Tech. They require you to have enough units to earn an AA and then you graduate 27 months later with a Masters. Whats more they do not require the GRE. Why cant other universities do that?

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/sah/mpa/prereq.aspx

Archived