realistically does anyone believe that travel to Europe is realistic by August?

I have a cruise scheduled for early August up the Danube river from Budapest to Nuremburg on Avalon river cruises.  So far they have canceled all cruises through June.

I have a cruise scheduled for early August up the Danube river from Budapest to Nuremburg on Avalon river cruises.  So far they have canceled all cruises through June.

I took that cruise (but on Viking) a few years ago and it was wonderful. Sadly, I doubt anyone will be cruising this summer. Maybe next year...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

I think the key would be whether the coronavirus slows as warmer weather comes, like the flu.  If you said July I would think that would potentially be a bit early to get everything back up and running, but if things slow in May - June, I could see the cruise line being ready by August.  But, the effects of warmer weather remain to be seen.

• Like 1

I have a trip planned at the beginning of July to Italy. I think I’ll cancel because although things hopefully will be much better in July, I’m not certain things will be back to normal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

None of us can be sure what the national leadership will be doing, but I would expect that going to a former coronavirus hotspot this year might well earn you a couple of weeks of quarantine at the port of entry when you return. At least I would hope so.

Edited by UGoLong
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't plan on anything for 2020 - as in nothing.

No Vegas, no vacays, and especially no international travel.

We don't know enough about this thing and I do believe a second wave is coming.

It will definitely change the way we travel for a long time to come. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

I wouldn't plan on anything for 2020 - as in nothing.

No Vegas, no vacays, and especially no international travel.

We don't know enough about this thing and I do believe a second wave is coming.

It will definitely change the way we travel for a long time to come. 

This.

Until we get a Vaccine AND an effective treatment, I would not do anything like a cruise.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I had a beach house in south Texas reserved for July. I cancelled it. There are too many unknowns and I'm going to wait for things to settle a bit before making any plans

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, rev ronin said:

I question whether cruising, as an industry, will exist after the dust settles.

Between chronic Noro virus outbreaks and the whole Ghost Ship corona festival - eewww. 

Not sure you could get me on a cruise ship - even with a scopolamine patch 

I doubt we will ever see airplane seats moved any further apart - shame - could have been a positive out of all this mess. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have until May 4th to cancel at which time I will lose my $1200 deposit and the $687 trip insurance I paid for.  If Avalon cancels the trip, then I will get my money and the Insurance money back.  I am banking that Avalon will cancel.  One way or the other, I will not be going to Germany this year.  Almost 50,000 corona as of today.

So you guys are saying not to use my stimulus check to stimulate the travel industry by booking another trip to Hawaii this summer where I can be quarantined at a resort with a wonderful ocean view for two weeks?  In all seriousness, I'd like to do a European river cruise but this year isn't going to be the time.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Hawaii now says that if you fly over - you will be quarantined for 14 days on arrival - so - no beach view for you - all hotel walls.................

Nah, I always have a lanai (balcony) with an ocean view.  I'm good.  You're free to party on as long as you stay on property, wherever that might be (resort, condo, house, etc.).

7 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Hawaii now says that if you fly over - you will be quarantined for 14 days on arrival - so - no beach view for you - all hotel walls.................

Wait wait wait.  If I fly to HI they will make me stay for 14 days and quarantine?  I might just be okay with that.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1