What a sad commentary on our profession (ALL medical providers)

Received the below earlier this evening from LARA of Michigan.  How sad for medical providers (this specifically singles out physicians, but I doubt it's that narrow) to be taking part in the hoarding practices of our communities.  I hope these are investigated to the fullest and those who are committing illegal and unethical acts are punished to the full extent of the law, and personally I feel this is a license revoking offense.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Licensed Prescribers and Dispensers:

The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs has received multiple allegations of Michigan physicians inappropriately prescribing hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine to themselves, family, friends, and/or coworkers without a legitimate medical purpose. 

Prescribing hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine without further proof of efficacy for treating COVID-19 or with the intent to stockpile the drug may create a shortage for patients with lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, or other ailments for which chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are proven treatments.  Reports of this conduct will be evaluated and may be further investigated for administrative action.  Prescribing any kind of prescription must also be associated with medical documentation showing proof of the medical necessity and medical condition for which the patient is being treated.  Again, these are drugs that have not been proven scientifically or medically to treat COVID-19.

Michigan pharmacists may see an increased volume of prescriptions for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine and should take special care to evaluate the prescriptions’ legitimacy. Pursuant to Michigan Administrative Code, R 338.490(2), a pharmacist shall not fill a prescription if the pharmacist believes the prescription will be used for other than legitimate medical purposes or if the prescription could cause harm to a patient.

It is also important to be mindful that licensed health professionals are required to report inappropriate prescribing practices.  LARA appreciates all licensed health professionals for their service and cooperation in assuring compliance in acting responsibly while continuing to provide the best possible care for Michigan’s citizens during this unprecedented and very challenging time.

To stay up to date on the latest information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic please go to www.michigan.gov/Coronavirus and the CDC site at www.CDC.gov.

Sincerely,

Deb Gagliardi, Director

Bureau of Professional Licensing  

Forrest Pasanski, Director

Enforcement Division

7 minutes ago, mgriffiths said:

How sad for medical providers (this specifically singles out physicians, but I doubt it's that narrow) to be taking part in the hoarding practices of our communities.  I hope these are investigated to the fullest and those who are committing illegal and unethical acts are punished to the full extent of the law, and personally I feel this is a license revoking offense.

I've heard that physicians are hoarding N95s at my hospital. Boxes go missing daily. The rumor is that it's a couple of anesthesiologists.

Yeah, we had an RN caught leaving the hospital with multiple boxes of PPE a few weeks ago.  They were actually able to track the UPC codes (or some other identifying number) to prove they were hospital purchased.  She claimed she had brought them from home and was just taking back as weren't needed - which honestly was pretty quick thinking on her part.  She was fired and reported to LARA by the hospital.

I hope the folks doing this get in trouble. It shines a poor light on the medical profession when our colleagues do "favors" and selectively provide treatments to folks.

Dealt with this during H1N1 and tamiflu then bird flu and cipro and always with supplies.

Found one of our own nurses walking the halls with a mask on - she isn't sick, isn't immunosuppressed and just flat out said she would wear a coveted N95 because she felt safer - guidelines be damned.  And she doesn't have first line exposure - except at Walmart, I am sure.

I seriously hope those two guys who had 17,000 bottles of hand sanitizer go to jail - they donated the stuff after getting caught trying to price gouge and sell it. 

This pandemic is bringing out the best and worst in people.

17 hours ago, Sed said:

I've heard that physicians are hoarding N95s at my hospital. Boxes go missing daily. The rumor is that it's a couple of anesthesiologists.

It's always Anesthesias fault! They are probably the reason for the COVID-19 outbreak... and if they aren't I'm going to start blaming them! HAHA! 

• Like 2