Loma Linda vs. Western 2020

Hi everyone!

I feel extremely fortunate to have been accepted at both LLU and Western for fall of 2020.  I am now trying to decide which program I should attend.  Anyone have any advice or input into which program is overall the better one?  Does the PA school one goes to have any weight on job prospects after graduation?  I know that US news ranks Western higher than LLU.. but I'm unsure of how relevant that ranking actually is. 

I have about 4 years of experience in healthcare and i like the fact that it seems LLU takes on more mature students with paid work experience vs Western.  So I am leaning towards LLU.  

Thanks a lot in advance 🙂 

Hi there! Personally, I got accepted to both, and if I didn't get accepted to my number one school(for me), I would be attending Loma Linda. There are many great things about both programs but the selling factor for me was the smaller class sizes with LLU and I resonated alot with what the program stands for in terms of service to others. You won't make a wrong decision with either, and it is ultimately up to which you think suits you better.

• Like 1

Hey there, I was accepted to both last year and it was an unequivocal decision for me. I chose western undoubtedly. I do think it is a personal choice because the academic environment differs greatly. Loma Linda has strict rules and regulations on campus with certain aspects related to coffee on campus, certain things to be done and not done, and mandatory religious attendance. I personally didnt feel that worked for me moving forward with becoming a PA student. Western is all encompassing and community centered. They also have over 500 hospitals they are contracted with for rotations which was huge. The professors are so genuine in wanting to be a valuable component to your success in program completion. The smaller class does sound good but truly the 98 students in Western doesn't actually feel large, the Professors are great for outreach and really get to know and HELP you throughout the whole process. Plus there are 98 other people you can befriend and or just choose to remain acquainted with. I was seriously worried about it when I first started because I work better in an intimate environment but I can honestly say, that I was/am not burdened by it at all. Really though, I knew from after my interview at LLU, it was not at all for me. I do truly believe it lies within the eyes of the beholder, I felt a serious connection and community at Western, whereas I did not feel that at all at Loma Linda. I encourage you to do some soul searching and think about how you felt after each interview and ask yourself where you see yourself sitting for 8 plus hours a day 5 days a week for a whole year. That put things in serious perspective for me when I was considering it all. I hope this helps somewhat and at the end of the day congrats on acceptance to both, they are both tremendous schools and will give you the tools you need to be a great provider. Good luck on it all!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2020 at 3:58 PM, PApreemie said:

Hi everyone!

I feel extremely fortunate to have been accepted at both LLU and Western for fall of 2020.  I am now trying to decide which program I should attend.  Anyone have any advice or input into which program is overall the better one?  Does the PA school one goes to have any weight on job prospects after graduation?  I know that US news ranks Western higher than LLU.. but I'm unsure of how relevant that ranking actually is. 

I have about 4 years of experience in healthcare and i like the fact that it seems LLU takes on more mature students with paid work experience vs Western.  So I am leaning towards LLU.  

Thanks a lot in advance 🙂 

I am sorry, but LLU doesn’t care about mature students they have their own agenda trust me. Congratulations have a great career. 

• 1 month later...

Think it comes down to personal preference. I know plenty of alumn and students in both programs who have both been satisfied. Had a really great class at WesternU where we all worked together and were all relatively close knit. I can't personally speak for LLU but have heard that the mandatory religious requirements associated with that school aren't overbearing.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:58 PM, PApreemie said:

keep leaning that way....not a fan of western or their selection process.. have precepted their students before..Go to Loma Linda...