Sign in to follow this  

Question about letter of recommendation from a PA!

I recently shadowed a PA for about 50 hours over a span of 3 weeks, and hope to ask her for a LOR (as many schools require one from a PA, and this was a very recent experience). Although I feel a bit out of place asking her after such a short time period, I've heard of others asking the PAs they've shadowed on less than 2-3 occasions for one. Is this abnormal? During my time in the clinic, I felt very limited in what I could do to help (as is the nature of being a shadow), but I made a concerted effort to stay engaged and ask her thoughtful questions about specific cases, the profession, as well as her time in PA school. So my question is: How should I approach the situation if I plan to ask a PA that I shadowed for a LOR, but I don't feel like she has a good grasp of me as an individual and why I want to enter the profession/why I would make a strong healthcare provider? Especially with COVID making it difficult to meet and talk in person. I plan to give her my CV as well as my personal statement, and she works in close conjunction with a doctor who I have strong faith will write me a stellar LOR, so I'm hoping that will help as well. Anything else I should offer her? Thank you!

If they don't have a 'good grasp of you' then you should probably find other references that can provide more thorough letters on your behalf.

If all this PA knows about you is your CV and personal statement she won't really be ADDING to your application by providing reviewers any new information.

I shadowed a PA for ~10 hours (among others) over the course of many weeks, from which I asked for a LOR afterwards. She did ask me a few questions to help guide her writing and it was good enough to earn me an interview and an acceptance to the only school I applied to. 

If you feel like she does not have a good grasp on you as an individual - have a conversation with her about what you want her to know about you as a person and your reason for pursuing PA as a career. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by mcconnmic