Switching jobs during this pandemic - how do I tactfully ask my future employer whether my offer still stands? 

A couple weeks ago I signed an offer letter for a new job starting June 1st. I had planned to give my current employer notice on April 1st for my last day on April 30th, giving me a break in May between jobs. Given the pandemic, I'm anxious the offer will be  revoked or that my start date will be delayed.

Before I give notice to my current employer, how do I tactfully ask my future employer if we will move forward with my offer and start date as planned? And given the pandemic situation is rapidly evolving...when would be a good time to ask this?

I may be overthinking this.

For context:
My new employer would be a large academic institution. I'm not sure how badly they need this position filled.
My new job will be in a specialty that I'm not 100% familiar with so will require some training. 
I am pretty secure at my current job. 

I think now would be a good time. Hospitals are getting crazier by the day, so giving them some time to get back to you in enough time for 4/1 would be good. I would reach out to your contact there, someone who is involved in or privy to the decision making process, and ask how it's going, you're checking in to make sure everything is in place for your 6/1 start date, and if there's anything you can do to help in the meantime. 

• Like 1

I also think that it's fine to contact the personnel office at the hiring institution. They execute policy and should be able to give you whatever guarantees you need that the office is -- and will stay -- open for you. 

If anything I think your new employer would appreciate you being "heads up" enough to recognize there could be an issue here.  Plus, with the craziness going on, it would be easy for someone not to think about this.  Therefore, I would definitely reach out with a professional email.