Online Bachelor Degree

I am currently finishing my degree in Occupational Health, which is an online program. I have been interested in becoming a PA for some time now, and worry about my online degree and the potential of it having a negative affect during my application process. I will be getting the perquisites at a local community college, but would like to plan to potentially transfer to another school that provides on campus learning if needed. So my question is, has anyone here been accepted with an online degree, or know if an online degree even matter, as long as you get the perquisites?.  

I have an online degree as well and did most of my prerequisites at a community college (all but one, actually, because you cannot really do online science with labs). I applied to 11 schools, I was offered 6 interviews, I accepted 3 interviews. I was accepted at all those 3 schools, two of them top tier. I am now attending a top tier PA school. 

What mattered: 10 years of clinical experience (truthfully, after 2 years of a full time job, the odds even out), a good personal statement, and a decent GPA (3.5-ish mark). I also had a pretty good GRE, but I honestly don't think they care much about that. And of course, I think I interviewed fairly well because I was able to pull a lot from experience. 

Rest assured, it's not where you did your schooling that matters, it's who you are as a candidate. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Agreed. I am about to finish my degree online, with most prereqs from CC. I talked to the programs I am going to apply to, and they were not deterred from it at all. Perhaps an online program was the only choice you had in order to reach your goals sooner than later? I know that was my case. While some people view online school as easier, it actually can be quite challenging because it takes a lot of self discipline and organizational skills. So if you are concerned with programs looking down on your online schooling, turn it into a positive and (respectfully) brag about it. 

Edited by emilymuff

I want to second Emilymuff on how challenging online school is. 

To anyone that has an online degree or did prereqs at a community college and is self conscious about it. Put that out of your mind. If the school has a problem with it, they don't deserve you.

But honestly, once we are on the other side of COVID-19, I can't imagine any school looking down on online classes, since literally every single school in the US, PA programs included, was forced into online education. How is this different than your bachelor? Unless they are claiming that the PA education we are getting online now is sub-par. And I don't see any of them making this claim. 

• Upvote 1