Looking to shadow PA in Iowa City/Coralville area

Hello everyone,

I am interested in working in the medical field (currently finishing an MA in Anthropology). I've yet to decide if I want to be a PA or physician, so I would like the opportunity to shadow both so I can determine which is the best route for me. My interests lie in primary care but am open to any specialty. The more experience the better!

My only limitation is that I do not own a car, so shadowing outside the IC/Coralville area will be very difficult (shame, too; I've been referred to some excellent PAs recently!). Any and all suggestions/comments will be appreciated.

Hello everyone,

I am interested in working in the medical field (currently finishing an MA in Anthropology). I've yet to decide if I want to be a PA or physician, so I would like the opportunity to shadow both so I can determine which is the best route for me. My interests lie in primary care but am open to any specialty. The more experience the better!

My only limitation is that I do not own a car, so shadowing outside the IC/Coralville area will be very difficult (shame, too; I've been referred to some excellent PAs recently!). Any and all suggestions/comments will be appreciated.

Hello everyone,

Melissa Opsahl in cardiothoracic surgery was the PA I shadowed at UIHC. She was phenomenal and very helpful. Chances are you'll be able to sit in on a few good cases. Just call the cardiology department, and mention her name to the secretary. They might set something up for you.

Melissa Opsahl in cardiothoracic surgery was the PA I shadowed at UIHC. She was phenomenal and very helpful. Chances are you'll be able to sit in on a few good cases. Just call the cardiology department, and mention her name to the secretary. They might set something up for you.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay, I shadowed her for a week straight and the experience was phenomenal. I was right in the OR at the head of the table with the anesthesiologist, seeing everything. Advice: don't talk too much or ask too many questions. Apparently one girl that shadowed was kicked out of the OR by the surgeon.

Archived