Petition to remove legislative barriers- please sign and spread the word

Some progress in Pennsylvania (but just under DO ? ) 

pspaLogo.png

March 22, 2020 

Some License Requirements for Qualified Physicians Assistants Are Suspended During Coronavirus Emergency 

In order to allow physician assistants practicing under the state Board of Osteopathic Medicine to more easily and effectively assist with emergency response efforts to COVID-19, Governor Wolf granted the Department of State’s request to suspend requirements pertaining to written agreements and several other items. 

The following requirements are suspended: 
  • The Osteopathic Medical Practice Act restricts physicians to the supervision of four physician assistants, but they can apply for a waiver from the state board of Osteopathic Medicine to supervise more. Governor Wolf has suspended both the ratio and waiver requirements. 
  • The requirement is suspended that all physicians with whom a physician assistant is assisting be named on the written agreement. Only one primary and one substitute physician will need to be named.
  • The board regulations that require contact information for at least two substitute supervising physicians are suspended because if a primary physician and substitute physician are named, their contact information will be in the Department of State’s PALS system. 
  • The requirement that written agreements receive board approval is suspended. Written agreements will be effective upon submission to the board.
  • The requirement is suspended that temporary authorization to practice be issued for up to 120 days upon board receipt of a complete written agreement.
  • Countersignature requirements outlined in the Osteopathic Medical Practice Act will be suspended, provided that the number of patient records reviewed is sufficient to assure adequate review of the physician assistant’s scope of practice. 
  • Board regulations that require countersignature from a physician within 10 days and at least weekly review by a physician of medical records prepared by a physician assistant are suspended.
  • The requirement that the board must approve use of a physician assistant at “satellite operations” is suspended. This will allow more physician assistants to practice wherever they are needed during the disaster declaration. 
In addition, after review, the department determined that no suspensions pertaining to written agreements are required for physician assistants practicing under the Pennsylvania Board of Medicine. 

This allowance is due to an emergency medical services clause in their regulations that permits licensed physician assistants to respond to a need for medical care created by a declared state of emergency by rendering care consistent with relevant standards of care. It applies to physician assistants licensed in Pennsylvania and physician assistants licensed or authorized to practice in any other state. 

PSPA * P O Box 128 l Greensburg, PA 15601l P: (724) 836-6411 l F: (724) 836-4449 l pspa@pspa.net l www.pspa.net

icon_facebook.png icon_linkedin.png    

Trouble viewing this email? Read it online
Pennsylvania Society of Physician Assistants
PO Box 128
Greesburg Pennsylvania 15601
Uniteddelivered by Campaigner

img.gif

• Like 1

Do you have to create an account to sign this? I tried and nothing happened when I pressed the sign button. Do you get an email after?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MSPAC said:

Do you have to create an account to sign this? I tried and nothing happened when I pressed the sign button. Do you get an email after?

No to account. Yes to email. You go to the email address you used, find the email from WeThePeople, and click the link.

Only then is your signature counted. 

Edited by deltawave
  • Like 2

Let me add this can be signed by anyone. Please share with family and friends

The fact this was originated by PAFT in no way colors my opinion of the matter....much. 🙂

• Upvote 2

This is so incredibly important! I hope this gets more global coverage or attention. AAPA and other pro PA-C organizations should be showering peoples emails and texts with this. 

• Upvote 1

I hope everyone’s family and friends are as helpful as mine. Spent 5 minutes texting and got 6 signatures with at least double that probably to come. If every PA, Pre-PA, or PA-S on this site did the same thing TODAY, we could reach that total easy. 

This is all I had to say:

“Please consider signing this petition to push for the federal government to mandate emergency removal of administrative restrictions placed on PA’s, a large and vital portion of the healthcare workforce. PA’s today are encumbered by archaic laws that create a direct barrier to access to care for most Americans. This only takes about 60 seconds to sign and then verify with your email.”

Then include the link. Make it easy. Make them realize it matters.

Edited by AdamPAS
  • Like 1

Got this in my email today. Someone feels the fire!

Is it poor form if I post this on all of the school threads in the PA and Pre-PA sections, moderators? I mean, we're not getting the numbers from AAPA Huddle and definitely not getting a second of attention from NCCPA. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I hope this reaches you all in good health.

I am making a personal request to gather your support in an ongoing effort to reduce legislative barriers for PAs in this country. Please consider signing the petition linked below and share this to everyone you know via email, text or social media:

Remove archaic barriers to licensed non-physician health care providers providing acute and primary medical care

What is this about?

In response to the pandemic, PAs For Tomorrow, an advocacy group for PAs started this petition to bring attention to the White House the fact that PAs are able to function without need for chart co-signatures and direct supervision. There are over 140,000 PAs in the US and these requirements impede our ability to help in this crisis. Right now, some states have lifted these restrictions temporarily but if PAs are “good enough” to function independently in emergencies and in the military then why not make these changes permanent? In addition, the diagram below from Washington state’s medical commission compares PAs and our counterparts, the nurse practitioners who function similarly but independently. If we have more education and must adhere to stricter continued education requirements, then why must we be limited? Maine and North Dakota have adopted laws that modernize PA practice but we need you to urge the government to rid of these barriers for other states. Help us take care of you and your loved ones. We need 100,000 signatures by April 21, 2020.

0?ui=2&ik=28ba93a887&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1662176501825126025&th=17113cb8c949be89&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-qzjAIKp-qEkzu1WflMqJgRAomJZ0q_T8PHk5S-OqEd9ShOTKJt9cR7zgTdGsye6ZOV-3JSmIFzInMdt0cImDRoDrS3HOvDPQ4Eau0gfsOC6VAs2Mb5vF123Q&disp=emb

You will need to verify your email address after signing the petition. Please keep an eye out on your email.

Thank you all and stay well!

unnamed.png

Edited by MSPAC
Pic Upload
  • Like 2