Clinical Rotations During COVID-19

8 hours ago, UGoLong said:

Ours were also recalled. ARC-PA and other organizations are working on a strategy. For now, students are doing case studies, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The program I precept for is basically doing that same.  Do y’all have any ideas/ opinions on letting students participate in telemedicine encounters?

17 hours ago, BirdDogPA said:

The program I precept for is basically doing that same.  Do y’all have any ideas/ opinions on letting students participate in telemedicine encounters?

Sounds like a good idea but perhaps there are liability issues with going into a clinic to do that? Not sure.

On 3/23/2020 at 8:20 AM, UGoLong said:

Sounds like a good idea but perhaps there are liability issues with going into a clinic to do that? Not sure.

Agreed! Everyone I have talked to has notes HIPPA concerns. I do think one day students will be utilizing telemedicine but probably still a little while away. 

I am currently a second year PA student and I have also been pulled from clinical rotations. I was supposed to graduate in May but I’m not so sure that will happen now because of Coronavirus. I saw a petition and wanted to share it because I think it is important we get the word out that PA students must graduate on time! Please sign and SHARE on social media if you agree!!

https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/tell-arc-pa-that-physician-assistant-students-must-graduate-on-time?bucket&source=facebook-share-button&time=1585336824&utm_campaign&utm_source=facebook&share=f5d04463-5df4-46ee-80c5-06945fd21001

Edited by jkeene

I am currently a second year PA student and I have also been pulled from clinical rotations. I was supposed to graduate in May but I’m not so sure that will happen now because of Coronavirus. I saw a petition and wanted to share it because I think it is important we get the word out that PA students must graduate on time! Please sign and SHARE on social media if you agree!!
https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/tell-arc-pa-that-physician-assistant-students-must-graduate-on-time?bucket&source=facebook-share-button&time=1585336824&utm_campaign&utm_source=facebook&share=f5d04463-5df4-46ee-80c5-06945fd21001

I don’t think anyone wants to stop the flow of students through programs for lots and lots of reasons. The questions being grappled with have to do with how to continue the training so that new grads have the skills and experiences they’ll need. Lots of innovation going on, I suspect in faculties and regulatory bodies everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ours are assumed to be out through at least through the end of May.

Lots of discussions going on. It will take agreement of the universities, regulatory bodies, and the larger clinical sites to get this restarted. One major issue I've read about is the availability of PPE but there's more to it than that I suspect.

• 2 weeks later...

Clinical rotations are paused till further notice. For the meantime, we are given online bookwork assignments to "complete towards our degree." Not sure what that entirely means, but that's it so far.

What is the tuition/financial aid situation at your programs? My program is still charging tuition and fees (i.e. facility, student health services, IT service, etc) in full, which makes no sense. Trying to get a sense of what other programs are doing about that.

4 hours ago, icjerseyveeb324 said:

Clinical rotations are paused till further notice. For the meantime, we are given online bookwork assignments to "complete towards our degree." Not sure what that entirely means, but that's it so far.

What is the tuition/financial aid situation at your programs? My program is still charging tuition and fees (i.e. facility, student health services, IT service, etc) in full, which makes no sense. Trying to get a sense of what other programs are doing about that.

Schools approve their budgets well in-advance and aren't sitting on any money that they could give back 

Edited by iconic

We will complete 2 online 3 week rotations (make up from spring rotations already paid for) and will not resume until late August. When we finish our clinical year, we will have not completed 720 hours of our original program planned/scheduled hours, and will not been given a break on  tuition. We are paying full summer tuition and won't be in rotations.  That's not right, especially when higher education is getting millions in stimulus dollars. I understand that classes can be taken online, but there is no substitute for clinical rotations.

Edited by MaryFred