Career Change - Pre-Reqs Advice?

Hi all,

I've been seriously contemplating switching my career to be a PA for the past year. I graduated with a Bachelor's in Business/Hospitality 7 years ago (low gpa of 2.76, gpa of 3.14 from community college before transferring with no science pre-req's and no healthcare exp, so I'd essentially start from square 1.) I know it's low but I'm confident that with my maturity and focus/dedication now, I can excel in school. I didn't have much direction, was unfocused, and dealing with a lot of personal family issues which hindered my academic abilities. I've been working in the Experiential marketing world as a Market Manager for the past 4 years and am struggling with fulfillment and purpose. I need to do something meaningful and medicine has always been in the back of my mind. I'm 30 and don't feel like I have a lot of time to waste so I'd like to be as efficient as possible with completing my pre-reqs.  It was a daunting thought but I realize there's so many people out there like me! I made a chart of requirements for different PA schools and there's so many differences in what each program requires. For example- Some schools will take either Organic Chem or Bio Chem and some want both. -Microbiology is a common pre-req but it's not listed which level is required? I was looking at the courses at a nearby CC and the only Microbiology course offered is a BIO-104. It's an intro class but I'm not sure if programs need an upper level course? It's always just listed as Microbiology. I also am not sure if I want to take the EMT route to be an ER Tech or be a CNA to build my experience. All the classes i was planning on taking total to about 35 credits, in my nearby CC so I can have flexibility to build PCE - Gen Bio I w/lab,Intro Chem, Gen Chem I w/lab, Org Chem I w/lab, A&P I & II w/lab, Medical Term, Microbiology w/lab, Statistics, and Psychology. This should take about a year if I'm taking about 3 classes a semester and take it during the summer as well. I'm wondering if these pre-req courses are enough to get accepted or do I need to take more upper level classes? I may take Bio II and Organic Chem II to qualify to more programs. I just don't want to take extra unnecessary classes, spend extra $ and time if not needed. Any advise on if these courses should be enough for acceptance?

Hey SuperLC89,

Go for it!!! It sounds like you've really begun your research. I'd encourage you to become an expert in what the prerequisites are in the top 3-5 programs you want to apply to. This should help you devise the most efficient plan for which prerequisites to begin taking. Also, try and get in touch with the admission's councilors if the programs have one...a good admission councilor is worth their weight in gold to a pre-pa student. I also realize not all programs have this individual, or maybe they're not all super helpful. But, it's worth trying to make a connection because they'll tell you everything you need to know in regards to prerequisites (which one are absolutely required, which ones would make you more competitive, and additionally, you'll get a feel for the ethos of that program from the counselor so you can craft your essays/personal statement to meet the unique goals of that program).

Be careful with the intro courses. I would ask the specific program you plan to apply to if that specific course at that specific cc meets their requirements. It might seem like overkill, but it would be terrible to do all the work and find out a course isn't approved.

Both EMT and CNA are good routes to PCE. I've done CNA and found a job in a hospital at a burn center. It's hard work, and I wouldn't want to do it forever, but I've gotten to see an entire team at work in an ICU environment. That gave me a lot of great perspective for my essays. I would say most important thing while doing PCE work is pay attention to moments with patients that are meaningful to you - was it a conversation? seeing someone recover? observing the ED team? whatever it may be, it will be your own unique material come application time. What I heard over and over again surrounding applications is that admission committees want to see, yes smart and competitive applicants, but that's everyone at the interview, so more importantly what makes you a unique person and why you would be a great PA. It sounds like you would given your search for more meaning/purpose and your determination to get the work at hand done.

Best wishes!

• 2 weeks later...

At 25 I decided to go back to school after getting an Econ degree and working in finance (which I hate). I think first you got to be understanding that this may take 2-3 years to get to where you want. With classes, PCE, applying to grad school... and that’s just to get into PA school. That is SO worth it for me because 5 years vs 40+ of miserable career is worth it for me. But it isn’t easy. With your GPA I think you’d benefit from making sure to focus on school first. I made the mistake of trying to do 2 lab classss another class and working 25+ hrs a week, I couldn’t get As so I dropped work. Now I’m about to finish my pre-reqs and going to spend the next year or so working full time. I haven’t been accepted so take it with a grain of salt but my 4.0 gpa in my pre-reqs shows I’m committed. You really should focus and get a stellar post-bacc GPA to show you are ready for PA school. The more classes you take that are extra requirements the more schools you can apply to that less people are applying to which results in better chances. Also should not take “intro” courses if avoidable and try and take 200+ or more, show you can handle the thought stuff. Also if you havent already shadow a bunch of health care professionals: PAs, nurses, etc and get a feel for it. Best of luck!