GRE studying

I am beginning to look into GRE studying and have a few questions. I am planning on taking a gap year after undergraduate studies due to my PCE hours (I will only have about 1,000 at graduation).

1. When should I take the GRE? I was planning on waiting until my gap year to take it, but wasn't sure if I should take it earlier.  

2. How many hours do you recommend studying for the GRE? how many months in advance did you study?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide. 

You probably wont be able to take the GRE until late this year due to covid19. I studied using Magoosh, about an hour a day for a month. I focused on the quantitative section as I havent used geometry since 1995 and scored a 308. Everyone is different though, take a look at some study guides to try to gauge where you are so that you can make your own determination of how much you need to study. I would recommend giving yourself enough time to retake the exam in case you dont do as well as you would like on the first try.

That's true. I have heard of Magoosh before, and am going to look more into it! I have taken geometry within the last two years, so I'm hoping I won't be too rusty studying for the quantitative section. I am looking forward to taking a practice exam soon to see where I stand. 

Thank you for your advice!