Applicants for April 1- August 31, 2012

We could all use a little moral support during this period. (Well, I could!) Let's get to know each other here and keep each other posted on when we've turned in applications and start hearing from UTHSCSA. Any advice from re-applicants? My plan is to get my application in by the end of July. Does anyone know if it's rolling admissions this year or will it be like last year, where everyone was on a level playing field (all received acceptance after interviews concluded)?--Karla

We could all use a little moral support during this period. (Well, I could!) Let's get to know each other here and keep each other posted on when we've turned in applications and start hearing from UTHSCSA. Any advice from re-applicants? My plan is to get my application in by the end of July. Does anyone know if it's rolling admissions this year or will it be like last year, where everyone was on a level playing field (all received acceptance after interviews concluded)?--Karla

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I submitted my application in June. This is the time line that was sent to me just in case anyone is curious:

The following information is an approximate timeline of the admissions review process. Given the number of applications received, we urge you to refrain from contacting our office for a status update. You will be notified as soon as an action decision has been reached by the Committee.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]June – December

[/TD]

[TD]Review applications.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]November - January

[/TD]

[TD]Invitation for interviews will be sent 3 weeks prior to each interview date (rolling process).

Interviews take place on-campus.

Interviews are conducted one Saturday in November, December and January.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]September – January

[/TD]

[TD]Applicants not chosen for interview will be notified by email.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]February

[/TD]

[TD]Final Selection will be made near the 1st of February.

40 will be offered admission.

40 will be chosen as alternates.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

UT Health Science Center, San Antonio

School of Health Professions

Physician Assistant Studies Program

I am a current PA student in the UT system, not at UTHSCSA but I did attend one of their open houses and I would strongly encourage applicants to attend open houses at as many PA schools as possible. You get a much better feel for what the program is like and what they are looking for when you meet students and faculty in person. Remember: The best PA school is the one that accepts you!! There are many great applicants who get turned down because there just aren't many spots. Focus on your Personal Statement and make the best first impression possible, practice before your interviews and represent yourself well. Best of luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks arely296 and hlane. Good info to consider. I have just submitted both applications. I suppose the waiting portion begins! If I hear back I will post, and I'd appreciate others doing the same. I have a history with UTHSCSA, so I am partial to their program. Good luck to you!

The hardest part is the wait before the interview! Once you've submitted, just breathe. I didn't get my invite until January and I was accepted within three days! My best advice is to get a strong feel for each program you apply to. I personally didn't go to open houses, but that was really for lack of ability than anything else; I imagine it would have helped! But, I did thoroughly research each university's philosophy and program, and I spoke with a representative from most universities.

Just breathe!

• 2 weeks later...

hlane--Great advice. I hear this again and again: the personal statement and interviews are key and a chance to showcase unique qualities. I've always practiced for interviews in the past and I will do the same here. Thanks for the perspective and advice from someone who has been here-- can't get enough!

The hardest part is the wait before the interview! Once you've submitted, just breathe. I didn't get my invite until January and I was accepted within three days! My best advice is to get a strong feel for each program you apply to. I personally didn't go to open houses, but that was really for lack of ability than anything else; I imagine it would have helped! But, I did thoroughly research each university's philosophy and program, and I spoke with a representative from most universities.

Just breathe!

Thanks, need to breathe...

-Karla

were we suppose to send out supp app at the same as we e-submitted caspa app. i submitted my caspa app a couple weeks ago, can i still mail in my supp app? also, do i make a check to this school and mailed in the same envelope as the supp app? thank you

Hi david89,

I would get that supplemental app in right away if you haven't already. It's expected that the applications will be submitted "around" the same time. I submitted my supplemental in person a week before my CASPA e-submit. They took my credit card payment in person, but I'm sure they will take your check by mail-- instructions should be on the Supplemental App itself. I called in to follow up on both applications and make sure they were both in-- they've got a lot going on over there, but it was easy to check that they were both "received." Hope that helps-- and GOOD LUCK!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome, dvnnov--thanks for letting us know. I've heard the Multiple Mini Interview model used at UTHSCSA will be a series of short, structured interview stations to assess non-cognitive qualities (teamwork, cultural sensitivity, etc...). Forister has a few published papers out there comparing this model with the more traditional behavioral interview format. I've also seen (in past years) talk about an essay, but I'm not sure if they still do that? Good luck to you!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I also received an invite for an interview on November 3rd. I received the invite via e-mail. I'm nervous because I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I was wondering if they have the same format as UT Southwestern as well. I understand the multiple mini interviews, but does anyone know if they still ask the same traditional questions like "why do you want to be a pa" or "why should we choose you" or if they do the complete different format that you cannot prepare for. Based off of scenarios and other things. Any advice would help! I'm getting nervous and just wish I knew what to expect.

DVNNOV, were you at the UT Southwestern interview last weekend? Have you heard anything else regarding UTHSCSA's interview format?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived