When should I take the GRE if I plan to apply right when the cycle opens?

Hi all! I hope to apply once (or immediately after) the cycle opens on April 25. Right now, I'm deciding whether I should sign up for the April 3/5th exam in order to have my official GRE scores back in time, or if it's something I can postpone to a later date. Is it necessary to have my scores in and ready to be sent out by 4/25, or can the rest of my application be sent out first? Thanks for the help!

Guest alexnyong

The rest of your application can be sent out and then at the end of the GRE you will need to put in the school codes of where you applied to ensure that your score will be sent (or else there's a charge fee for every school you need to send it to). I think it's easier to just get it done prior to 4/25 that way even if you need to retake it in May you have the chance to do so! 

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I applied successfully last year, and the statistics I saw were that applying BY the first week of June increased your success rate - but between opening and the end of May there was not much of a difference. 

• If you have already been studying and preparing for the GRE, you should take it sooner rather than later.
  • If you have not, take some time to study first. You will have plenty of time to get it in if you take it in may.