Corpsman to LVN method 4 California

Method #4 - Military Applicants

“This method requires no less than 12 months of active duty bedside patient care on a hospital ward, completion of the basic course of instruction in nursing while in the armed forces and proof that service has been honorable.”

https://www.bvnpt.ca.gov/applicants/application_for_vocational_nurse_licensure_by_examination.shtml

My opinion is if you are eligible, then go for it!  

Edited by lifeguard
Link

• 5 weeks later...

Not being a former medic or a nurse, I see no point in this. Gaining LVN certification seems like a step sideways and not forward to any goal of being a PA. Military experience as a corpsman or medic should be enough to satisfy the experience requirement for any PA program. If anything, I would use military experience to work towards something like paramedic.

I may also be missing the point of your post by a mile.

I think the point is that a military medic can get their LVN, then do LVN to RN online while working then proceed to msn/np all online or do CRNA, etc. I agree that military medics are great PA school applicants. Unfortunately, many PA programs are looking more towards those with other training or degrees at this point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back in 1973 as I completed the 91C course in the Army I sat for the LVN Boards in California and was awarded my LVN License. This licensee helped me pay bills with part time employment while still in the Army. I do not believe having been an LVN  carried much weight in  my selection for PA School. I do think my many years of patient care as a Medic in the Army counted more!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/11/2020 at 12:31 PM, EMEDPA said:

I think the point is that a military medic can get their LVN, then do LVN to RN online while working then proceed to msn/np all online or do CRNA, etc. I agree that military medics are great PA school applicants. Unfortunately, many PA programs are looking more towards those with other training or degrees at this point.

Indeed! It's a fast-track pathway for a military medic to get a license and make some money while aiming towards a PA school or other path in medicine/nursing. 

Edited by lifeguard
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Apparently, New York State allows veterans, soldiers and sailors equivalently trained in the U.S. Armed Forces to apply for an LPN as well. Form 2AF

"Complete this form ONLY if you are applying for an LPN license based on completion of equivalent education in a program conducted by the U.S. armed forces."

NYS Nursing:Application Forms RN & LPN (nysed.gov)

Edited by lifeguard

• 2 months later...
On 4/11/2020 at 2:31 PM, EMEDPA said:

I know this is an old post and not really the point of the OP, but LPN to RN is not really online.  My program only allowed LPN’s and Medics to skip the first semester (basic patient assessment with a nursing home clinical), everything else was on track with the traditional group.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 3:19 AM, FiremedicMike said:

I know this is an old post and not really the point of the OP, but LPN to RN is not really online.  My program only allowed LPN’s and Medics to skip the first semester (basic patient assessment with a nursing home clinical), everything else was on track with the traditional group.

More importantly, the prospects of getting a job are better with an LPN license than a rating of medic fresh out of the military.

Edited by lifeguard