COVID19 and Online classes

Guest thatgirlonabike

Guest thatgirlonabike

I fear our school will not let us back to regular classes after Spring Break next week.  I wanted to start this thread to see how everyone else is dealing with this.  We won't know until Thursday but the professors said they have been instructed to prepare for teaching online.  

Those who have had classes move online already.... what are you doing?  Staying where your school is?  Going home?  Do you still have live lectures?  I know Yale's online program has some awesome interactive software but I don't know if other schools have time to set something like that up.  My fear is we just end up with death by PP and recorded lectures with no actual human contact.  

How about you clinical year folks? Anyone getting removed from clinicals yet?  

3 hours ago, mcclane said:

PA programs needed this kick in the ass to put lectures online. Ain't nobody got time to listen to Mr. Mumbles at 1x real life speed.

Kinda agree. Lots of medical schools don’t have mandatory attendance. Knew a really smart guy that just showed up for tests and spent the rest of the time enjoying life. I certainly didn’t need to be in class for 70% of the lectures. I know we can all feel that online means it’s low quality, because traditionally it has been, but it can be just as good with rigorous testing. Some physical exam portions and procedural skills ha w to be in person. However, I don’t think the cerebral portion has to be.

To the OPs point, I don’t know if anyone closing down or students being pulled. I’m a bit away from where all the students like to rotate though.

I've heard those in didactic will be going online soon for our program and the other locations for the university. 

Right now the hospital I am rotating at is requiring a paper with corona-related questions on it and if you answer 'yes' to any of them you are not allowed to rotate. This form has to be filled out every shift.

My program just informed us that we will be going to online/recorded lectures when we get back from spring break as well. We start clinicals in May. It’ll be interesting to see how this turns out in the next couple months.

On 3/11/2020 at 4:23 AM, thatgirlonabike said:

I fear our school will not let us back to regular classes after Spring Break next week.  I wanted to start this thread to see how everyone else is dealing with this.  We won't know until Thursday but the professors said they have been instructed to prepare for teaching online.  

Those who have had classes move online already.... what are you doing?  Staying where your school is?  Going home?  Do you still have live lectures?  I know Yale's online program has some awesome interactive software but I don't know if other schools have time to set something like that up.  My fear is we just end up with death by PP and recorded lectures with no actual human contact.  

How about you clinical year folks? Anyone getting removed from clinicals yet?  

When you got the message that classes were moving to online, did they tell you for how long? Our program didn’t say for how long. For those of us  that were originally out of state, it sucks that we have to go back to only be locked up inside out apts. 

Guest thatgirlonabike

@BLM8867

We start our spring break on Frdiay.  We got an email at 2230 last night saying they were making classes online for 1 week after break (subject to change).   We are supposed to be using a new program called Zoom plus Moodle which we already use.  Not a single professor/administrator/provost has actually talked to us at all about it.  We aren't even sure if we are supposed to/expected to come back to the town where the school is or stay at "home."   We don't start clinicals until July so still have time for that to work out.  None of the clinical students have been removed from any rotations as of yet but we also do not have cases here yet.  

I'm in clinicals now. At the moment, rotations through my school are tentatively continuing as planned, but we are getting updates daily. Our current guidelines tells us that if we are sick/have known contacts with COVID-19, then to self-quarantine (obviously). Otherwise, we are not allowed to participate in the direct care of known or suspected COVID-19 patients, and not allowed to rotate at facilities that cannot offer us appropriate PPE/cannot abide by CDC guidelines, or are operating in "crisis mode." A nearby healthcare system we are not affiliated with just suspended all their rotations, so I'm afraid it's going to hit our local system next...

A lot of the hospital systems are suspending rotations here in South Florida and my rotation officially suspended today. Our EOR was supposed to be tomorrow but pushed back one week and will be taken remotely in my home as well as EOR lectures done as recorded or live lectures over Zoom. 

My spring break was last week and they announced Wednesday they would extend break another week and begin online classes starting 3/23. So for the next 6 weeks we will be heavily relying on Blackboard, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, and email to complete the rest of the semester. Our class is still not totally sure how exams will be given (our first one is Tuesday 3/24) or how we will do lab practicals / exam like ENT or Eye exams we were supposed to do in lab. I know the faculty will do their best however we are all on edge and feel unsettled with so many variables.

It's really a good time to cut your program some slack. Most were blindsided by the need to isolate and having large systems stop clinical rotations. The same has been true in med school too.

Right now, faculty members are trying to learn new software, ramp up on-line lectures, develop exercises that will fill in for in-person labs and SimLabs, decide on safe on-line testing strategies, and get ready to on-board new students in the coming months. And all the while, the external environment continues to change as well.

Everyone means well and will do their best to keep you moving towards graduation. And most everyone in the outside world is trying to keep their lives together while staying safe.

Now that I think of it, let's cut everyone some slack!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3