• Administrator
5 hours ago, Cideous said:

Rev has I think?

Yep.  What do you need to know?  It's a safe, clean, needed, reasonably well compensated field with no call and no nights.  It also happens to be somewhat repetitive and boring, but that's because obstructive sleep apnea is EVERYWHERE.

Basically just curious what the the biggest challenges were from your experience.  I don't have experience in sleep medicine, so would be interested in hearing what it was like for you starting off and what the learning curve was like. 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, dsta said:

Basically just curious what the the biggest challenges were from your experience.  I don't have experience in sleep medicine, so would be interested in hearing what it was like for you starting off and what the learning curve was like. 

So, I worked in primary care first, and learned the basics of sleep apnea testing and treatment there. That's the bread and butter of sleep medicine.  Some of the weird stuff is fun, like nacrolepsy, some is baffling, like nightly enuresis in a 20's year old male, and some of it is frustrating, like insomnia.  You can give people sleep hygiene education and handouts, but getting them to do anything meaningful off of it is like pulling teeth.  It's WAY harder to get someone off their Ambien than it is to convince someone to try CPAP.

Learning curve isn't too bad.  AASM has a series of NP/PA-focused CME that was reasonable in price.  I did the Clinical Sleep Educator curriculum from BRPGST, but they did away with that shortly afterwards--they've got a different/replacement credential, but both organizations have stuff you can do to both 1) get yourself up to speed, and 2) show off as merit badges for credentialing.

Thanks for the response. I'm going to shadow the department head who will also be my SP and the one training me, so that should give me a pretty good idea of what it will be like. It's an area of medicine I'm really interested in, so I'm hopeful it will be a good fit. 

• Upvote 1