So who's applying for incoming 2013 class

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!

I'm so grateful to have found these forums! It is heling me pass some of the anxious waiting time as well. I live in the Seattle area and was wondering if there was anyone who might like to try and meet up to practice for interviews just in case we get invited? I've applied for the 2013 incoming class for the BCHS option. I selected Yakima as my first choice and indicated I would be interested if the Tacoma Campus opened up as well. I have been in EMS since 2000 and have experienced many aspects of it including successful grant writing to fund equipment / training needs, ops manager, clinical manager, and I now am a one-woman shop working in a clinic at a large manufacturing comples with medical direction all the way in Chicago.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and hopefully to practicing before our big interviews come up! If invited, I would like to get there a day or two early as well and meet up with others who are interviewing. I think it would go a long way for all of us!

Tracie

CASPA app finally verified on Sep 29 (submitted on 28 Aug). It should be mailed this coming week, although the complete app is viewable/printable as of now. Avg GPA 3.54, Science GPA 3.18, & Non-Science GPA 3.84. I hope this makes the cut & will be reviewed in time to get into the first round of interviews for Yakima.

Hopefully this will give some of us an idea as to the timeline of how things are going at CASPA. I imagine that a lot of us submitted our apps right before the Sep 1st early deadline, so hopefully we all will be seeing our apps being completed very soon.

Tracie, glad to have you on the forums. This is a great place to be to get information about the school from current/prior students, etc. Many will post advice, & as the time gets closer, they usually use the forums here to arrange a meet up the night before interviews.

Others have expressed the desire to practice interviewing as well, & after the invites have gone out I think it is a great idea for us to arrange one. The timing may be tight, as sometimes the invites for Yakima go out in late November for an early December interview, but we should have at least one or two Saturdays to arrange a practice interview session.

Good Luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Typically the night before there is a meet & greet with a current student who will answer questions about the program, interview process etc., & anyone who wants to can meet up afterwards at the hotel for more practice, although it's kind of late by then & most will opt to go to sleep to get ready for the next day.

A few of us are meeting in Auburn on the 20th to practice interviewing. We have a small room reserved at the library, and by small I mean a room for 4-5 people, which is about the number of people who would be in the rooms during the actual interviews. There are 3 of us so far, so there is room for a few more. Maybe we can borrow a few chairs if more people want to come. I am sending pm's with times & directions now that the reservation is confirmed. If a few more of you want to join in, please let me know by pm & I will forward the info to you.

The idea is that we will each bring a list of some typical questions that anyone applying should be able to answer, & we will take turns being interviewed & being the interviewers. Most of you have attended an info session & have already been given an idea of what to expect, so the main focus will be on critiquing each others professionalism, demeanor, etc. There are no secrets to be had. The real interview will be fairly straight forward as they mainly want to get to know you as a person, & not test you to see how smart you are, etc.

I've read that many applicants have benefited from having a practice interview video recorded so they could watch themselves & correct mannerisms they never knew they were doing, & that might work, although I haven't seen the setup in the room, so I'm not sure how well it would work. I have a video recorder I can bring, but maybe someone else can too as a backup? I'll try to find a tripod to use.

Looking forward to meeting some of you in person :)

Don

It's encouraging to get on here and read what other applicants have posted. My name is Travis, I'm from Oregon and I have applied to the Yakima campus, but also selected interest in the Tacoma site if it becomes available for the class of 2015. I have applied before and interviewed last year, but was not selected. Going through that process has made this year's process that much more manageable. It was hard at first knowing that I had not been selected, but it offered me a great lens to use to really look at myself as an applicant. Aside from personal growth it also reinforced that MEDEX is the right school for me. I have continued to work, grow, and develop as a member of a healthcare team working as a medical assistant at a community health clinic. My past experiences include time as an Army Medic and working as a medical assistant in pulmonary and internal medicine as well as, rheumatology, sleep medicine, neurology, general surgery, and family practice. My goal is to become a family practice PA working in a clinic similar to where I am currently working. Moving away from specialty medicine and into a role where I serve the medically under-served has been the greatest experience of my medical career. I attribute this to my persistence after being rejected last year. I looked at what I had done and where I wanted to be as a PA and the two were not in alignment. I decided that if I was applying to MEDEX with the intent of working in primary care it would be a good thing to have more substantial primary care experience. Additionally, I decided to enroll in a Spanish communications class to better develop my ability to speak with native Spanish speakers. All in all I think that last years rejection made me not only a better applicant for this year, but also a better member of my community. I look forward to reading more posts from other applicants and wish everyone the best in your pursuit of becoming physician assistants.

v/r

Travis

• 2 weeks later...
Don,

We just have to keep working towards our goal. How have the past few months been treating you?

Pretty good. Finished renewing my last A&P class with a 4.0, got some shadowing in thanks to a forum member here, & gave up my teaching position & got a job in rural medicine. Hopefully this helps me out a bit. How about you?

Hey all, I applied for the 2013 cycle. I interviewed last year, but was not selected. We met the night before interviews to have dinner and get to know each other. I felt it helped to break the ice and relieve some stress. When they send out the emails, and if I am invited again, I'd like to plan a get together this year too, especially if any of the current students are willing to show up too! Hope to see you all soon.

David

I am so happy that I found this blog! Good luck to each and everyone of you!!!!! I am applying for the first time, got my application in at the end of August and am applying to the Yakima and Tacoma sites. I am a 46 yr old female, raised 2 lovely children, married 23 yrs and have 15+ years of medical experience, rrimarily OBGYN, worked as a PA's MA for the bulk of it. I have shadowed both Primary Care PA's as well as Cardiothoracic PA's and have had many years of volunteer experience with PT's etc. I am nervous as heck!!! I haven't heard anything other than they have approved my application and now I wait....... This helps me so much and I am glad to see that I am not the only obsessed person out there! Cheers to all of you and thanks in advance for your input!! ~ asterlington

Archived