So who's applying for incoming 2013 class

kempoguy-

it will definitely be worth the sacrifice and frustration if i get in!!!!!! I understand they have a lot of applicants to go through, it just makes it hard to find coverage when I make my schedule a month in advance. So your at the Yakima site? How has the program been so far. UW is my top choice so I am praying that I get in this year. Thanks for the info about the A&P class, this should help tremendously when I get in. Thanks for the other details as well.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am really enjoying the program. I had a couple of options of where to attend and would definitely choose UW again. We finished our didactic year in June. I loved being in Yakima. I feel your nervousness about your schedule. I was very concerned over the same thing. There have been a few frustrations. Remember to stay flexible. There will be frustration over last minute schedule changes and other things but always remember that you are where you have worked so hard to get to.

I read that this is the third time you're applying to PA school. I would urge you to not give up applying if you don't get in this year. Just because you don't get into MEDEX doesn't mean you weren't meant to become a PA, it may just be that MEDEX isn't the right school for you. I was accepted to a school in New York and would have gone if I hadn't been accepted to MEDEX but truthfully, I didn't feel as comfortable there as I did when I interviewed at MEDEX. The vast majority of the my classmates have some connection to the WWAMI region and that may be the only reason you didn't get in. If you've been wait listed then those schools obviously believe that you have what it takes to be a quality PA. My roommate in Yakima applied three times. He interviewed three times. He is not from the WWAMI region but his persistence paid off and he was accepted on his third time applying.

Anyway, I wish you and the other applicants luck. You're in for a great experience. One more thought; check out the book I suggested if you haven't already and analyze if there is anything you did or didn't do that prevented you from gaining acceptance. Good luck!

kempoguy

Thanks for the words of wisdom and advise!! It eases some of my frustration getting someones elses opinion who has been there. I bought the book last year and read it before my interviews and felt like it helped 100% and I plan on reviewing it again this year. Good luck in your rotations and I'll definitely keep you posted about what goes on with me.

LOL, you'll make it through Lily :)

As things get closer, those of us who are going to interview typically try to arrange a meet up prior to the big event. I also think getting together to practice interview skills is a very good idea. Not so much for trying to have the perfect answers to specific questions, but for analyzing mannerisms & traits etc. that may need to be tweaked. As far as questions go, other than the typical ones that everyone should be prepared to answer, they are more about getting to know you as a person, so good honest answers are always the way to go.

LOL, you'll make it through Lily :)

As things get closer, those of us who are going to interview typically try to arrange a meet up prior to the big event. I also think getting together to practice interview skills is a very good idea. Not so much for trying to have the perfect answers to specific questions, but for analyzing mannerisms & traits etc. that may need to be tweaked. As far as questions go, other than the typical ones that everyone should be prepared to answer, they are more about getting to know you as a person, so good honest answers are always the way to go.

Yes, I am not too worried about the interview...yet. IF I get an invite, then I will stress about it. Right now, I am trying so hard to be patient and enjoy some leisurely activities while I can. I'm no longer doing the FT job+student dance...it is nice! I am ok at interviews when it comes to job interviews, I've always been offered every position I've interviewed for. I have done everything from one-on-one, panel interviews, and I've even done one group interview. I imagine school interviews are different in the fact that they are looking for something very specific to school, not your jobs skills, etc?

Speaking of honest answers, I must admit there is one question that haunts me. It is the simplest yet most complex of questions..."why do you want to be a PA?" I know that I can give a practiced answer that I have analyzed to death, and they would be content with my answer, but only because it is the answer they want to hear. I am really uncomfortable with that, I sleep at night best by being honest...sometimes to a fault. The PA profession grew on me much like a friendship, a relationship, or your hometown does. There are others that are worse, maybe others that are better, but you've made your choice. You've been around it long enough to know it has both pro's and con's, and you embrace all aspects of it. You know beforehand that there will be days that you wonder if you've made a mistake, but most days you will probably find situations that remind you why it is that you do what you do! I do not glorify the profession...I respect it.

Thanks for the encouragement :D

Usually when they ask that question, they want to know why you picked PA instead of MD, DO, NP, etc. The answer will typically tell them if you truly understand the differences between them & have a full understanding of what a PA really is & does. As long as you've done your homework on that topic, your honest answer based on that knowledge will be fine.

As far as interviews go, I can only speak of MEDEX. They may ask you to describe your past experiences or skills you have, but they won't quiz you on your medical knowledge. They are more interested in getting to know your personality, & their questions will reflect that. There may be questions based on a given scenario, or they may have you roleplay, but it's nothing you can really prepare for & that no PA school book will help with. The things that can be prepared for is just good basic interview techniques, such as being professional, courteous, positive, confident, etc. Other than that you just need to listen carefully to the questions (even when they are not for you) & answer as best you can.

I definitely understand the anxiety and can sympathize with the torturous wait process! I am in the current Yakima class, and just getting ready to move next weekend to start the didactic year. I am so excited!!! Like many of you, I am a Type A personality to a fault who operates best with structure and organization. Eventually you will have to let that go and adapt to the changes in the program.

I can tell you that preparing for the interview was the most nerve-racking for me, so I understand! I studied from the book "Preparing for the PA school of your choice" with sample questions as well as studying possible questions from PAs I work with, current PA students, as well as fellow applicants. I can tell you that I was not asked any of the questions I had prepared answers for, but practicing made me more comfortable in answering different types of questions. What I can tell you about MEDEX is that they are looking for three things, "book smarts, street smarts, and heart". That is a direct quote from MEDEX faculty. I cannot stress enough how much they need to know who you really are and why you want to be a PA. DO NOT give a canned response because you think it's what they want to hear. They will see right through it. Dig deep within yourself and be prepared to bare your soul. Just keep that in mind.

Good luck to all of you applying! I'll look forward to hearing all the good news!

I have applied to MEDEX this year. My name is Eric and I have been working as a pharmacy technician for seven years. My professional experience ranges from HIV, oncology, organ transplant, pharmaceutical research and everything in between. I'm anxiously awaiting any information from MEDEX regarding an interview. I did receive an email from Mariah two weeks ago stating I have met the program prerequisits and that they have began the final review of my application. I applied to the Yakima and Tacoma locations for the BCHS.

Good luck to everyone. I'll be sure to post any news I hear from MEDEX.

Eric

How long after you submitted everything did it take before you (anybody) received an email from MEDEX stating the you meet the minimum requirements? My CASPA was mailed out a month ago, and I submitted my supplemental application on August 30...nothing yet! I am sure I meet the minimum requirements, unless I missed something BIG. I am freaking out a little---help?

How long after you submitted everything did it take before you (anybody) received an email from MEDEX stating the you meet the minimum requirements? My CASPA was mailed out a month ago, and I submitted my supplemental application on August 30...nothing yet! I am sure I meet the minimum requirements, unless I missed something BIG. I am freaking out a little---help?
well, my caspa was mailed on 8/10 and had the email from mariah on 8/17. i had submitted my supplemental before then. its being barely some 10 days since you finished your application and there was a labor day holiday in between. without any biases, you should be getting that email pretty soon.

I submitted my CASPA and supplemental applications on August 4th and I recieved the email on the 24th.

I'm sure a lot of people submitted their applications at the last minute so don't worry. They will email you regardless to inform you of your application status.

MEDEX will usually send that email out as soon as they see that CASPA has verified everything on your app. They can view it online now too, so they don't have to wait for a paper copy in the mail, but they do have to wait to see GPA calculations etc. Last year Mariah told us as long as we had our app in by September 1st, we would still be considered in the first round of interviews. You could call or email her to be sure, but I think you're safe. Once your CASPA app is marked Complete/Verified, you should get that email.

I submitted my CASPA and supplemental applications on August 4th and I recieved the email on the 24th.

I'm sure a lot of people submitted their applications at the last minute so don't worry. They will email you regardless to inform you of your application status.

It took about 3 weeks after I submitted my applications before I recieved that email. CASPA mails out their applications on Fridays. Keep in mind that it's possible that a lot of people submitted their applications in the last few days before the early deadline. The chances that MEDEX has a lot of applications to validate are high.

Hey guys! My name is Gina and I am applying for the first time to the Seattle campus! I am a master's level psychologist from NC hoping to make a career (and location!) change. I submitted my supplemental on 8/7... it was actually my very first supplemental, which makes me nervous because I think I got much better as I continued to write them! I got the email that stated that I met the criteria on 8/17. Now I am just waiting with everyone else! I hope we all hear good news soon!

Submitting mine on Monday for the Masters track as well. It was a tough call to do so, especially with a buddy there now in the Bachelor's program. It made it much easier when I found out about the last 60 units (semester) is what they calculated for your grad school GPA instead of cumm (long story).

Should have all my LOR's and statements done to hit the submit then and super excited about it!

Best of luck to everyone.

Rich

Archived