USMM Marine PA

The United States Merchant Marine offers the Marine PA (MPA) credential (MMC).  I was initially interested because it is basically an International credential so I have the potential to do volunteer work overseas or work on a ship or even a Hospital Ship.  The credential process took a few months and I was issued a red passport like credential listing my rating as a Marine Physician Assistant.  The Physician I work with was issued one as a Medical Doctor which is great because he is a DO.  DOs have issues with volunteerism outside of USA so this gave him a US Federally recognized credential as a Medical Doctor.  Another good aspect is, I don't have to maintain certification. The MMC is issued on the basis of holding the degree and not current licensure or certification.  A Marine PA is considered a Staff Officer so one must have US Citizenship to apply:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/merchant_mariner_credential/

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/11.807

Edited by lifeguard

The fact is, my State issued license looks like a cracker jack box prize.  Scope of practice in foreign countries is the main issue but having a USMM Red colored passport like license looks more respectable and may open doors in countries that have critical shortages of qualified providers.  Here is a link to Mercy Ships: https://www.mercyships.org/who-we-are/our-ships/the-africa-mercy/

At this point, the only thing I've done so far as a Merchant Marine, is conduct physical exams for credentialing.  Oh yeah, I was also able to buy a coke at a USCG base exchange in Puerto Rico. 😎

Edited by lifeguard
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

The Merchant Mariner credential allows one to work on US-registered ships. For the most part, I have only seen cruise ships have a need for medical providers. However, the military sealift command (MSC) part of the Navy also has civilian positions.  MSC - Medical Services Officer (sealiftcommand.com)

As a mariner, you are a civilian but are asked to be part of the Mariner Outreach System in case of a national emergency (Voluntary).  The license looks like a Red passport and contains all your credentials issued by the US Coast Guard. For sea duty, you need to go through a 5-day basic seaman course that includes fire and haz training, water survival,  and standards of the watch. However, you can also just have land duties. Merchant Mariner Credential NMC (uscg.mil)

Some mariners (prior service) are also in the Navy Reserves with the MSC and are able to earn retirement points. 

"I vote for a  Full Practice Authority and staged independent practice.MBA, MS, PA"

I believe Utah just signed into law full practice authority after ten years of supervised experience. Since the USMM merchant mariner licensee scope is often based on your current State license scope, I wonder if a PA from Utah with full practice authority would have that full practice scope as a US mariner?

I do want to amend my first post in regard to certification. It is true I can be issued an MMC as a Marine PA without certification or license but based on a graduate degree in NP or PA, but it appears that many organizations want a full license in a State or territory with prescriptive privileges so a license and certification are crucial for gainful employment. However, not technically required for a Hospital Corpsman or Marine Physician Assistant.  See USCG license requirements. 

Edited by lifeguard

7 hours ago, lifeguard said:

"I vote for a  Full Practice Authority and staged independent practice.MBA, MS, PA"

I believe Utah just signed into law full practice authority after ten years of supervised experience. Since the USMM merchant mariner licensee scope is often based on your current State license scope, I wonder if a PA from Utah with full practice authority would have that full practice scope as a US mariner?

I do want to amend my first post in regard to certification. It is true I can be issued an MMC as a Marine PA without certification or license but based on a graduate degree in NP or PA, but it appears that many organizations want a full license in a State or territory with prescriptive privileges so a license and certification are crucial for gainful employment. However, not technically required for a Hospital Corpsman or Marine Physician Assistant.  See USCG license requirements. 

Yup 

going to the VA and will license in a state with full independence.