PANCE Studying

As I am preparing to study for the PANCE, I am curious as to how people best prepared for the exam. I am wondering if making flashcards of bolds/italicized/underlined topics and tables within PANCE PREP PEARLS in addition to going through tons of Rosh Review questions and NCCPA practice tests would be adequate. Thanks all for your help and insight!

You and I are in the same boat.  I've been doing a ton of Rosh questions and then supplementing with PPP.  I've been finding it really helpful to study with classmates even if it's on the phone.  Testing each other and talking through things has been helpful for me.  Everybody seems to have their strengths in particular subjects.  Some of the questions on Rosh seem really out there, but I think focusing on the subjects that you're the most deficient in is going to pay off in the end.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just passed the PANCE today.

I did all 3000 questions in ROSH and it had me at a 477 projected score. I also used UWorld when I finished all of the ROSH questions. And of course Pance Pearls.  I passed with a 446, and took the exam on a combined 9 hours of sleep over two nights. I could not sleep at all prior to the exam as well as this past night thinking about results posting this morning but got it done!

Another classmate passed with a 484 and his Rosh projected score was a 489. 

The week before our PANCE we did the NCCPA Practice Exam A and got about the same in the lower green area. Exam A is tougher than Exam B. 

Good luck!

Edited by JD2012

• 2 weeks later...

This is a semi-repost of what I put on the PA-S sub on reddit:

My strategy:

I did the entire Rosh QBank then looked at what areas I was weakest in. I went back and read the respective chapters in PPP (v3) and watched OME and Osmosis videos. I prepared for about 14 days and typically spent about 3-4 hours per day studying. I took a few days off during that stretch (where I only did a 60 question block or two).

On my study days I would do about 300-500 questions a day which really made taking the PANCE seem very doable. I ended up completing the test in about 2 hours and 45 minutes including a bathroom break after the 3rd section.

UWorld was great for exposure to higher order questions and was almost a clone of the PANCE user interface. In the end I estimate I did ~4,000 practice questions (more if you consider
me retaking Rosh packs and blocks).

I'm an early morning person so I woke up around 5am on test day, had a decent breakfast, then did 100 or so questions from a Rosh Power Pack. I skimmed the bolded material in the higher score areas (CV, GI and Pulm) as well.

I was surprised by the number of first order questions and felt like there were only a couple of "zebra" questions. I don't recall any tricks other than a few questions with two medications that had a similar name at first glance.

Rosh Scores:  100% Completed, 74% Correct (Also did the two boost exams twice and the entire set of power packs once).  Predicted Score 519.

UWorld: 25% completed, 70% Correct.

Packrat 1: 144

Packrat 2: 176 (halfway through clinicals during a 2 month COVID break).

Actual Score: 541

Edited by AshySlashy

When it came to studying I would only do about 10-15 questions a day to prepare for the pance. But I would pick apart those questions and break them down. So one question would actually take me about 30-45 min to get through once I reviewed all the material surrounding the multiple choice answers (right or wrong answers). PACKRAT 1 was a 165, PACKRAT 2 was a 172. I scored a 635 on the pance

• 8 months later...

https://www.medgeeks.co/articles/passing-the-nccpa-pance

Medgeeks has a good review page on tips to pass the PANCE. There is a 4-week and 8-week study schedule as well as some review book recommendations and general tips. In my studying, I am using the 8-week schedule with some modifications. For review, I use PPP as well as ROSH review for question bank. I try to shoot for 50 Rosh review questions every night on the topics that I reviewed for the day. I also have purchased the PANCE/PANRE question book by PPP and incorporate those exams into my studying.

From my experience Rosh review questions are extremely straight forward and serve as a good general review for topics. UWorld is useful once you have more basic concepts down and want more critical thinking style review questions. They are certainly more difficult but I feel as though they are more reflective as to what you will see on the PANCE.

I hope this is helpful and good luck!

• 1 month later...