New Grad in Michigan Still Struggling to Find a Job >6 Months After Graduation

I graduated from a PA program in Michigan in August and am still struggling to find a job more than 6 months later. I live in West Michigan and have applied to over 100 jobs within an hour radius of my home. I have had only a handful of phone interviews and 2 in-person interviews during this time. I feel like I interview very well, and am unsure what else I can do to increase my chances of securing a job. I have even reached out to recruiters from nearby hospital systems with no success. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

I know an area where healthcare is rapidly expanding, without many PA programs in the area (yet).... If you’d be willing to move, direct message me and I can give you a little more info about the hospital systems there. 

This comes across as like a recruiter post - I swear I’m not one lol. I just went there for PA school. 

Someone just a few months ago posted as a new grad struggling to find a job.  I'm super confused...there are a TON of jobs to be had in MI.  Obviously as a new grad not all are available to you, but you have to consider where you are looking.  You state you are in West Michigan...what area?  If you are looking in what are considered to be the most desirable areas of MI you're going to have a tough time.  But, what about up North?  There was a doc recently who had to close a second office because he couldn't find someone to hire to help cover!  You need to expand what you are looking for and where you are looking for it.  There are three options: location, specialty, and salary.  Usually you get to pick two, but if you are specifically narrow in your location or specialty then often you only get to pick one.

Secondly, you need to review your resume, cover letter, and interview skills.  I know an amazing PA who REALLY struggled to find a job.  He has an amazing resume and glowing letters of recommendation, but he sucks at interviewing.  When you first meet him he comes off as incredibly weird, unapproachable, and honestly a bit of a jack-donkey - he isn't any of those things (ok, he is a bit weird).  But, he struggled to find a job because he sucked at interviewing.  He finally realized that and learned to act during interviews and is now in a position that he loves.

Lastly, you state you are searching within an hour of your home...BROADEN YOUR SEARCH!!!  You might need to move and gain some experience and then look to return.

Edited by mgriffiths
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, StrugglingNewGrad20 said:

I graduated from a PA program in Michigan in August and am still struggling to find a job more than 6 months later. I live in West Michigan and have applied to over 100 jobs within an hour radius of my home. I have had only a handful of phone interviews and 2 in-person interviews during this time. I feel like I interview very well, and am unsure what else I can do to increase my chances of securing a job. I have even reached out to recruiters from nearby hospital systems with no success. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Start applying to jobs 2-3 hours radius from your home, neighboring states, or areas in which you already have family elsewhere (and use their address on your application materials). Eliminate your selectivity of specialty and location. Apply to jobs that are marketed for NPs, and jobs that say they require/prefer experience. Explain on your cover letter how you have the experience from your rotations and PCE prior to PA school. Maximize the personalization and personality of your cover letter. Evolve it to each position you apply for. Send your app to the same job via every platform they’re marketing it on, and go further by also sending it to any email provided. Literally troll them. To put it in perspective, it took me 6 months to land a job too. Only I was applying to jobs in the 100’s in nearly six different states. Same goes for many of my colleagues. Just how it is now unfortunately. It sucks and you will be hard pressed to find sympathy for your situation. Keep your head up. The right fit will come to you if you keep at it.  

Edited by ANESMCR
  • Upvote 2