Interested in applying for a family med residency

I'm a PA student graduating in June of this year (almost done!).  As I look toward the future and recognize how much I still don't know, residency is sounding more and more appealing.  I think a residency would be ideal for improving my knowledge and skills, gaining confidence, and getting a good job afterward, and I've read so many positive things about residencies from people on this forum.  I'm interested in primary care, specifically family medicine.  I know that there are only a few FM residencies in the country and have done some research--there's one in Iowa and one in Virginia, and also an internal med one in Utah.

One factor that I'm afraid will be an obstacle is that my GPA is only 3.2.  Do you all foresee this as being a problem at getting an interview or even getting my application looked at?  I had a rough start to PA school but have worked to improve my grades in the time since.  I am a bit older than most students (age 34) and have had some interesting experiences, including living in Southeast Asia for several years, teaching ESL to refugees in the US, and doing a PA school rotation in Africa.  I also play the violin (although not much since PA school took over my life), if that would add to my "interesting person" factor.  My ultimate goal, after a residency and working the States for a few years to pay off school debt, is to go back overseas and work in a rural clinic in some area of the world where medical care is hard to come by.  I think that training in general practice/family med would be a good foundation to lay in order to see that goal ultimately come to fruition.

I'm at the point where I need to start applying for jobs/residency positions, and I'm thinking that I should probably do both in case I don't get accepted at a residency.  Based on what I've written above, do you all have any suggestions or advice?  Any experience in family practice residencies?  Thanks for anything you may have to offer.

I think you look good on paper. Residency isn’t all about the GPA anymore. They want someone interesting and will work well on the team. Highly recommend the FM residency at Iowa. It’s not exactly how I would build one, but it’s close, and I’ve worked with the first grad they had come through with nothing but good things to say. Feel free to PM me for more.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I think you look good on paper. Residency isn’t all about the GPA anymore. They want someone interesting and will work well on the team. Highly recommend the FM residency at Iowa. It’s not exactly how I would build one, but it’s close, and I’ve worked with the first grad they had come through with nothing but good things to say. Feel free to PM me for more.

Thanks, that's encouraging.  I'll get in contact with you soon.