Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

I will be applying to the 2020-21 cycle this upcoming April. As i was scrolling through the CASPA site, I noticed the section about conduct violations at ones university. My freshman year I received a charge from my school (not a misdemeanor, and nothing with the police) for leaving a bottle of alcohol under my bed before thanksgiving break. My RA found it and I received an alcohol charge with the campus. The punishment for this was a $50 fine and I had to take a two hour alcohol course about underage drinking. Basically, Im super stressed about this. Even though this was four years ago and I have plenty of other things going for me on my application, I am concerned that this will prevent me from getting any interviews/acceptances. I feel like I will be placed in a pool with everyone else who checks "yes" to this box, and will make it harder for me to be accepted. Any advice on this matter or past experiences would be gratefully appreciated 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi, 
I will be applying to the 2020-21 cycle this upcoming April. As i was scrolling through the CASPA site, I noticed the section about conduct violations at ones university. My freshman year I received a charge from my school (not a misdemeanor, and nothing with the police) for leaving a bottle of alcohol under my bed before thanksgiving break. My RA found it and I received an alcohol charge with the campus. The punishment for this was a $50 fine and I had to take a two hour alcohol course about underage drinking. Basically, Im super stressed about this. Even though this was four years ago and I have plenty of other things going for me on my application, I am concerned that this will prevent me from getting any interviews/acceptances. I feel like I will be placed in a pool with everyone else who checks "yes" to this box, and will make it harder for me to be accepted. Any advice on this matter or past experiences would be gratefully appreciated  


Take a breath.

I don’t see this as a major issue. It was minor and quite a while ago. Consider Addressing it very briefly in your essay.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, singerdancer said:

Hi, 

I will be applying to the 2020-21 cycle this upcoming April. As i was scrolling through the CASPA site, I noticed the section about conduct violations at ones university. My freshman year I received a charge from my school (not a misdemeanor, and nothing with the police) for leaving a bottle of alcohol under my bed before thanksgiving break. My RA found it and I received an alcohol charge with the campus. The punishment for this was a $50 fine and I had to take a two hour alcohol course about underage drinking. Basically, Im super stressed about this. Even though this was four years ago and I have plenty of other things going for me on my application, I am concerned that this will prevent me from getting any interviews/acceptances. I feel like I will be placed in a pool with everyone else who checks "yes" to this box, and will make it harder for me to be accepted. Any advice on this matter or past experiences would be gratefully appreciated 🙂 

two underage drinking ticket dismissals for myself. Did not mention them in any portion of the application because it specifically states convictions. It was never mentioned to me even after all the background checking up through matriculation. On pace to graduate in Aug. Wouldn't sweat over it nor would I mention it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hustleforthePAC said:

You could pay to do a background check on yourself to see if it pops up. Caspa asks for you to disclose  misdemeanor/felony. 

 

Thank you!! There was also a section below the misdemeanor question that said "Please identify if you committed any academic violations or your university's conduct violations." So that is where I am stuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BearDown said:

two underage drinking ticket dismissals for myself. Did not mention them in any portion of the application because it specifically states convictions. It was never mentioned to me even after all the background checking up through matriculation. On pace to graduate in Aug. Wouldn't sweat over it nor would I mention it.

Thank you! There was a portion where it asked about school code of conduct violations which is where Im stuck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, singerdancer said:

Thank you! There was a portion where it asked about school code of conduct violations which is where Im stuck 

does it show up on your transcript? If the answer is no, then I would not disclose it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the key is whether this shows up on background checks and/or transcripts.  If it's not on any official documentation personally I would not disclose.  CASPA and individual schools will rely on your submitted paperwork, they're not going to individually call your school to ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BearDown said:

does it show up on your transcript? If the answer is no, then I would not disclose it.

I actually paid for a copy of  my official transcript to make sure it wasn't on there and it wasn't! Thanks for all of your help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mgriffiths said:

Yeah, the key is whether this shows up on background checks and/or transcripts.  If it's not on any official documentation personally I would not disclose.  CASPA and individual schools will rely on your submitted paperwork, they're not going to individually call your school to ask.

Thank you so much! I am applying to my undergrad schools PA program. I guess if they wanted to go digging for this incident they would. Does this change anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, singerdancer said:

Thank you so much! I am applying to my undergrad schools PA program. I guess if they wanted to go digging for this incident they would. Does this change anything?

Assuming they use CASPA (which I think all do now), I highly doubt they will dig beyond CASPA.  If it isn't considered worthy to be documented on your transcript or documented on a background check, then why would the PA school care?  Just FYI, I was placed on probation twice during undergrad for stupid stuff.  Technically both would have been classified as trespassing while nothing permanent involved some vandalism (maybe not the right term due to no permanent damage).  Neither period of probation was on my transcript and nothing on my background checks.  I had zero issues with getting my license as a teacher immediately following college, zero problems with applying to PA schools, zero issues with obtaining PA license, and zero issues with getting credentialed with employer hospitals as needed.

I definitely understand your concern, but I think you're being overly cautious in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mgriffiths said:

Assuming they use CASPA (which I think all do now), I highly doubt they will dig beyond CASPA.  If it isn't considered worthy to be documented on your transcript or documented on a background check, then why would the PA school care?  Just FYI, I was placed on probation twice during undergrad for stupid stuff.  Technically both would have been classified as trespassing while nothing permanent involved some vandalism (maybe not the right term due to no permanent damage).  Neither period of probation was on my transcript and nothing on my background checks.  I had zero issues with getting my license as a teacher immediately following college, zero problems with applying to PA schools, zero issues with obtaining PA license, and zero issues with getting credentialed with employer hospitals as needed.

I definitely understand your concern, but I think you're being overly cautious in this case.

Thank you so much! def eased my concerns!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, singerdancer said:

Thank you so much! I am applying to my undergrad schools PA program. I guess if they wanted to go digging for this incident they would. Does this change anything?

If you are applying to the school where you actually HAD the violation, I suggest you think long and hard about not hiding it.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By sdebar
      Thought I would get this started, anyone submit yet? I submitted my CASPA on 5/12, supplemental 5/13, and GRE on 5/13 as well!
    • By MYoukh
      Does anyone know how long it usually takes for Professional Transcript Entry to be completed? I paid for the service before finding out that it might be more time saving to do it yourself. I submitted my CASPA on 5/16 and now I'm just an anxious ball of energy waiting for them to enter my courses.
    • By zgharbieh
      Hello everyone! I thought I would start a thread for this cycle. Waiting for my transcripts to be received by caspa and then I plan on submitting. 
       
    • By anaskouk
      Hey good people! I hope you’re all well and healthy during this COVID-19 outbreak. Just wanted to start this early and see your progress on the 2020-21 PA applications!
    • By Anakm2
      Hi all, can someone please tell me my chances of being invited to an interview or give me suggestions as to what I should do to improve my application? I would really appreciate any input. I’m applying next cycle (2021-2022) thank you in advance!
      Btw I calculated it the way caspa would using ThePAPlatform gpa calculator. 
       
      cGPA: 3:77
      sGPA: 3.3
      ~1400 hrs as a CNA
      ~200 hrs as a behavior therapist (it was cut short due to COVID and I have to move back home hours away)
      I just got offered a job at the front desk at the chiropractic office I’m getting treated at (I recently got in a car accident and couldn’t get my old job back as a CNA) but this would count as HCE! I could potentially do this from May until late Sept and work ~24hrs/week.
      -Medical mission trip over winter break
      -Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society
      - Multiple deans list
      - Chancellor’s award (scholarship) 
      -Tutored children for a semester (~50 hours)
      - Vice President of my pre-pa club, and was an intern for this club before getting accepted to this position. 

      - I also plan to rack up more hours once I move back to my university 
      Any feedback is appreciated, thank you!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More