Hi, 

I will be applying to the 2020-21 cycle this upcoming April. As i was scrolling through the CASPA site, I noticed the section about conduct violations at ones university. My freshman year I received a charge from my school (not a misdemeanor, and nothing with the police) for leaving a bottle of alcohol under my bed before thanksgiving break. My RA found it and I received an alcohol charge with the campus. The punishment for this was a $50 fine and I had to take a two hour alcohol course about underage drinking. Basically, Im super stressed about this. Even though this was four years ago and I have plenty of other things going for me on my application, I am concerned that this will prevent me from getting any interviews/acceptances. I feel like I will be placed in a pool with everyone else who checks "yes" to this box, and will make it harder for me to be accepted. Any advice on this matter or past experiences would be gratefully appreciated 🙂 

Hi, 
I will be applying to the 2020-21 cycle this upcoming April. As i was scrolling through the CASPA site, I noticed the section about conduct violations at ones university. My freshman year I received a charge from my school (not a misdemeanor, and nothing with the police) for leaving a bottle of alcohol under my bed before thanksgiving break. My RA found it and I received an alcohol charge with the campus. The punishment for this was a $50 fine and I had to take a two hour alcohol course about underage drinking. Basically, Im super stressed about this. Even though this was four years ago and I have plenty of other things going for me on my application, I am concerned that this will prevent me from getting any interviews/acceptances. I feel like I will be placed in a pool with everyone else who checks "yes" to this box, and will make it harder for me to be accepted. Any advice on this matter or past experiences would be gratefully appreciated [emoji846] 

Take a breath.

I don’t see this as a major issue. It was minor and quite a while ago. Consider Addressing it very briefly in your essay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, singerdancer said:

Hi, 

I will be applying to the 2020-21 cycle this upcoming April. As i was scrolling through the CASPA site, I noticed the section about conduct violations at ones university. My freshman year I received a charge from my school (not a misdemeanor, and nothing with the police) for leaving a bottle of alcohol under my bed before thanksgiving break. My RA found it and I received an alcohol charge with the campus. The punishment for this was a $50 fine and I had to take a two hour alcohol course about underage drinking. Basically, Im super stressed about this. Even though this was four years ago and I have plenty of other things going for me on my application, I am concerned that this will prevent me from getting any interviews/acceptances. I feel like I will be placed in a pool with everyone else who checks "yes" to this box, and will make it harder for me to be accepted. Any advice on this matter or past experiences would be gratefully appreciated 🙂 

two underage drinking ticket dismissals for myself. Did not mention them in any portion of the application because it specifically states convictions. It was never mentioned to me even after all the background checking up through matriculation. On pace to graduate in Aug. Wouldn't sweat over it nor would I mention it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, hustleforthePAC said:

You could pay to do a background check on yourself to see if it pops up. Caspa asks for you to disclose  misdemeanor/felony. 

Thank you!! There was also a section below the misdemeanor question that said "Please identify if you committed any academic violations or your university's conduct violations." So that is where I am stuck

13 hours ago, BearDown said:

two underage drinking ticket dismissals for myself. Did not mention them in any portion of the application because it specifically states convictions. It was never mentioned to me even after all the background checking up through matriculation. On pace to graduate in Aug. Wouldn't sweat over it nor would I mention it.

Thank you! There was a portion where it asked about school code of conduct violations which is where Im stuck 

19 minutes ago, mgriffiths said:

Yeah, the key is whether this shows up on background checks and/or transcripts.  If it's not on any official documentation personally I would not disclose.  CASPA and individual schools will rely on your submitted paperwork, they're not going to individually call your school to ask.

Thank you so much! I am applying to my undergrad schools PA program. I guess if they wanted to go digging for this incident they would. Does this change anything?

6 minutes ago, singerdancer said:

Thank you so much! I am applying to my undergrad schools PA program. I guess if they wanted to go digging for this incident they would. Does this change anything?

Assuming they use CASPA (which I think all do now), I highly doubt they will dig beyond CASPA.  If it isn't considered worthy to be documented on your transcript or documented on a background check, then why would the PA school care?  Just FYI, I was placed on probation twice during undergrad for stupid stuff.  Technically both would have been classified as trespassing while nothing permanent involved some vandalism (maybe not the right term due to no permanent damage).  Neither period of probation was on my transcript and nothing on my background checks.  I had zero issues with getting my license as a teacher immediately following college, zero problems with applying to PA schools, zero issues with obtaining PA license, and zero issues with getting credentialed with employer hospitals as needed.

I definitely understand your concern, but I think you're being overly cautious in this case.

1 minute ago, mgriffiths said:

Assuming they use CASPA (which I think all do now), I highly doubt they will dig beyond CASPA.  If it isn't considered worthy to be documented on your transcript or documented on a background check, then why would the PA school care?  Just FYI, I was placed on probation twice during undergrad for stupid stuff.  Technically both would have been classified as trespassing while nothing permanent involved some vandalism (maybe not the right term due to no permanent damage).  Neither period of probation was on my transcript and nothing on my background checks.  I had zero issues with getting my license as a teacher immediately following college, zero problems with applying to PA schools, zero issues with obtaining PA license, and zero issues with getting credentialed with employer hospitals as needed.

I definitely understand your concern, but I think you're being overly cautious in this case.

Thank you so much! def eased my concerns!!! 

2 hours ago, singerdancer said:

If you are applying to the school where you actually HAD the violation, I suggest you think long and hard about not hiding it.  

• Upvote 1