New Grad PA hospitalist night shift

Seems a little out of line with nocturnist offerings in my experience, the no PTO is less than ideal. Local system around me does a 7on/14off schedule for their nocturnists, averaging out to about 10 nights/month. 

If you're doing 7/7 they should be offering you an extra week off per quarter or something. CME isn't bad, could work to get it up to $2500.  What about retirement? Onboarding/training time? Expected # admits or cross coverage calls? Code or rapid response requirements? Any ICU coverage?

Nights as a new grad can be interesting, you learn how to do an admit and initial workup but not much about the day to day management of a patient.

• Upvote 1

There’s no retirement, life insurance or disability offered. Training time is 14 shifts with another provider (PA, NP, MD) then you are on your own. I’d be the only hospitalist working. The MD in charge of the company will be on site from 7pm-12am but then leaves. Expected # of admits is 10-12. No ICU coverage. 

Also, the whole 7 on 7 off with no PTO is bullshit. That means you'd have to work at a minimum 21 days in a row to take a 2 week vacation.

7 x 12 x 26 = 2184 hours / year

5 x 8 x 52 = 2080 hours / year

You are working more hours in a year than a regular M-F 8 hour schedule, you are working nights which are undesirable, and you get NO PTO. That's shit.

Ask for 120K with the caveat of getting 2 weeks PTO and more training time. Otherwise, keep looking.

Edited by AbeTheBabe