Upper level bio courses

I need some advice. In the fall I plan on retaking organic chem because I got a C+ and taking either genetics or pathophysiology. But the orgo class does not have many seats left so there is a chance that I might not get in when it is time for me to register. So should I take both upper level courses if orgo closes or just take one of the other classes? Also, does it matter which one I take or is one more recommended than the other? (the schools I'm looking at does not require these courses they just ask for upper level courses)Thanks in advance for your responses

I need some advice. In the fall I plan on retaking organic chem because I got a C+ and taking either genetics or pathophysiology. But the orgo class does not have many seats left so there is a chance that I might not get in when it is time for me to register. So should I take both upper level courses if orgo closes or just take one of the other classes? Also, does it matter which one I take or is one more recommended than the other? (the schools I'm looking at does not require these courses they just ask for upper level courses)Thanks in advance for your responses

• Administrator

I might even say opt to take both genetics and pathophys vs. retaking Orgo with a C+, because it's not just about the grades, it's also about the knowledge gained. Genetics will come up in patient discussions; the Krebs cycle will not. Pathophys... man, I wish I'd had a chance to take a pathophys course before PA school. I'm SO glad I took Genetics. Orgo... was almost, but not quite, completely irrelevant to PA school studies, let alone patient care. It's a good background to have, and I think it helped me understand the why's and wherefore's of some things, but it really didn't help all that much.

Plus, the more biochem/whatever you cram into your brain, the more the Orgo will make sense when you go back to it, so the later on you manage to retake the class, the better your expected re-take grade, assuming you're keeping your brain active in those areas... well, in theory, at least.

From a CASPA perspective, the GPA impact is the same if you retake a class and get an A, vs. take a new class and get an A. Orgo as a prerequisite might be a showstopper with a C+ for some programs, but the GPA boosting of retaking vs. taking new is a wash.

• Administrator

I might even say opt to take both genetics and pathophys vs. retaking Orgo with a C+, because it's not just about the grades, it's also about the knowledge gained. Genetics will come up in patient discussions; the Krebs cycle will not. Pathophys... man, I wish I'd had a chance to take a pathophys course before PA school. I'm SO glad I took Genetics. Orgo... was almost, but not quite, completely irrelevant to PA school studies, let alone patient care. It's a good background to have, and I think it helped me understand the why's and wherefore's of some things, but it really didn't help all that much.

Plus, the more biochem/whatever you cram into your brain, the more the Orgo will make sense when you go back to it, so the later on you manage to retake the class, the better your expected re-take grade, assuming you're keeping your brain active in those areas... well, in theory, at least.

From a CASPA perspective, the GPA impact is the same if you retake a class and get an A, vs. take a new class and get an A. Orgo as a prerequisite might be a showstopper with a C+ for some programs, but the GPA boosting of retaking vs. taking new is a wash.

• Administrator

Hmmm... interesting Rev - which aspects of your genetics class have you found most useful in PA school (inheritance, identifying diseases, etc)? I didn't take genetics on it's own and I start school in 3 months - anything you suggest I review?

Also, OP - I took Pathophys and it is FASCINATING - plus, it's an incredible Anatomy review.

Hmmm... interesting Rev - which aspects of your genetics class have you found most useful in PA school (inheritance, identifying diseases, etc)? I didn't take genetics on it's own and I start school in 3 months - anything you suggest I review?

Also, OP - I took Pathophys and it is FASCINATING - plus, it's an incredible Anatomy review.

• Administrator

Inheritence patterns, and a look at the incidence/prevalence of the more common genetic diseases. We really didn't touch all THAT much on it in PA school--it was a one week module--but I've had an opportunity to use it multiple times in clinic, and I really like having inheritance patterns down "cold"--it makes doing patient education that much easier. Come to think of it, I spotted an error in one genetics question from well-known PANCE prep company's test bank as well.

• Administrator

Inheritence patterns, and a look at the incidence/prevalence of the more common genetic diseases. We really didn't touch all THAT much on it in PA school--it was a one week module--but I've had an opportunity to use it multiple times in clinic, and I really like having inheritance patterns down "cold"--it makes doing patient education that much easier. Come to think of it, I spotted an error in one genetics question from well-known PANCE prep company's test bank as well.

• Administrator

Archived