The struggles of a low GPA. Any advice?

After completing my undergraduate degree in 2018, I began researching PA programs to apply to. Program after program, I quickly found out that I had made a mistake. Two mistakes actually. The first being not succeeding in my classes, and the other being not realizing how hard it would be to find a program that I would be eligible for. 

My cumulative GPA from undergrad is 2.83. Since graduating, I have taken three classes. I have done well in them, but for my GPA to rise to a 3.0 will take a few years at this rate. It is difficult for me to increase my courseload since I work two jobs. A few advisors have told me to focus on my grades by taking a post-bac program or different master's program. I just don't think that it is financially feasible for me at the moment.

Outside of my grades, I think that my experiences make me a noticeable candidate. I have around 40-50 shadowing hours, >1300 patient care hours, and many volunteer and leadership experiences. I work closely with a multi-disciplinary team in clinical research and cardiac monitoring and am currently enrolled in a graduate certificate program for gerontology. 

What are my chances of being accepted if I continue to work, volunteer, and take 1-2 courses every semester? or should I take the advice given by advisors and enter in another program before PA school? 

Also, in regards to the programs that mention rare exceptions to their gpa criteria, does that more so apply to non-traditional applicants who are changing their careers? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks. 

Hi @Patricia5827

I appreciate your response! The Gerontology certificate is about 14-16 credits total. I started it last semester but am only able to take 1-2 classes per semester. 

As for patient care, I was able to volunteer as an EMT for one summer, work with Global Brigades for one week, volunteer in the Emergency Department for 1.5 years, work as a nursing assistant in assisted living for 2.5 years, currently work as an EKG tech and clinical research assistant with hands-on experience (assist with muscle biopsies, blood draws, help run clinical visits). Last time I did a detailed count, it is around 1400 hours. 

Thanks,
Jesa