Please advise worried about PS

:sweat: Any advice appreciated

My affair with medicine began when I was 11. The passion has spanned two countries and much heartache. My parents divorced soon after I was born and I came to live in Maryland with my mother. During a visit to Dr. Blackwell-White, a pediatrician, my tears and my bruises did not go unnoticed. This was the first time in my life I knew the compassion of medicine. After Social Services got involved I was sent back to Trinidad; while it saved physical abuse what followed was no easier.

My father is a fundamentalist and even to this day does not miss a chance to tell me that I am wasting my time in school. Even though I ached to become a medical practitioner, this was not encouraged. I was engaged at 17 and when it ended due to no fault of my own, I was labeled “used goods”. My father began entertaining marriage prospects from men in their 40’s. Long story short my father disowned me and I came back to the USA to live with my mother in 2002; lesser of two evils.

It should come as no surprise that she had wrong intentions. She encouraged her husband’s abuse and so at 18 I moved out with only the clothes on my back. I tried to return to college only to be told by admissions my green card, issued by INS, looked fake. I entered the workforce to survive. Starting as a basic Spanish/English trainer for IHOP I worked my way up into sales and management with companies like GEICO. In 2007 my mother was the victim of a homicide. We had not talked in years but at her funeral I decided to forgive and pursue my dream of medicine once more. I realized that my life had a greater purpose and I vowed to become a practitioner. I completed a local adult class in Medical Assisting and was the only intern hired at Walk in Medical Care.

The daily clinical staff at WIMC consisted primarily of one physician and one medical assistant. It was under these extensive circumstances Dr. Barawy became my mentor. He saw my passion and encouraged me to become a PA. Since the inherent nature of practice was Urgent/Family Care I was exposed to all specialties and ages. My learning ability was uninhibited as he urged me to present cases as a PA student would and work up my own differential diagnosis. The variety in Urgent Care meant we could start the day with a Pap smear and end with a laceration during a 15 hour shift but I loved it. I was able to triage my own patients, take X-rays, POCT, phlebotomy, mix and administer injections, order lab tests and numerous other things.

The next phase of clinical experience came when I moved to Austin, TX in 2009. I was hired into the Seton Family of Hospitals where I worked from 2009-2011 in various clinics such as Seton Institute for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery as a medical/clinical assistant. I attended college at both Texas State University and Austin Community College maintaining a 4.0, President’s Honor Roll, and membership to Phi Theta Kappa. My charity work continued in cases such as my CF patient at Dell Children’s for whom I raised $26,000.00 for a bilateral lung transplant.

However in 2011 my dedication was once again tested. I went through a divorce, was the victim of Domestic Abuse from a “friend” who stole everything I ever owned, and was homeless. Eventually I was able to get counseling through Safe Place and a transfer to Texas Women’s University. The only thing that kept me going was the desire to practice medicine and exemplifying Frost’s “miles to go before I sleep.” Now I live in Dallas, TX where I routinely volunteer with Buckner International, Richardson Humane Society, and support Meals on Wheels through collaboration with Kalachandji’s. The pride I feel knowing I will graduate in May 2013 with a BGS degree focusing on Women’s Studies and start PA school is unparalleled remembering where I started many years ago.

As I look back I know the desire to serve humanity has only been strengthened by my own life. I cried when my first patient died from breast cancer and pneumonia. I can still remember the nurse saying that was exactly why I needed to go into medicine, because I cared so much. Spending half my life in a third world country, Trinidad, where going outside was forbidden only made me fight harder for educational freedom. Everything that I went through was simply the obstacle needed to make me a more compassionate PA. I represent my patients because I have lived in their shoes.

While my hands-on experience as a medical assistant has given me the clinical foundation for success as a PA, my unique life has given me the compassion to serve patients during times of malaise. I know what rock bottom feels like firsthand the never ending struggle to get better. My desire is to be the PA who makes a difference and inspires the fight for survival in my patients. The PA profession is simply the license to make Gandhi’s words come true and be the change I wish to see in the world.

My affair with medicine began when I was 11. The passion has spanned two countries and much heartache. My parents divorced soon after I was born and I came to live in Maryland with my mother. During a visit to Dr. Blackwell-White, a pediatrician, my tears and my bruises did not go unnoticed. This was the first time in my life I knew the compassion of medicine. After Social Services got involved I was sent back to Trinidad; while it saved physical abuse what followed was no easier.

My father is a fundamentalist and even to this day does not miss a chance to tell me that I am wasting my time in school. Even though I ached to become a medical practitioner, this was not encouraged. I was engaged at 17 and when it ended due to no fault of my own, I was labeled “used goods”. My father began entertaining marriage prospects from men in their 40’s. Long story short my father disowned me and I came back to the USA to live with my mother in 2002; lesser of two evils.

It should come as no surprise that she had wrong intentions. She encouraged her husband’s abuse and so at 18 I moved out with only the clothes on my back. I tried to return to college only to be told by admissions my green card, issued by INS, looked fake. I entered the workforce to survive. Starting as a basic Spanish/English trainer for IHOP I worked my way up into sales and management with companies like GEICO. In 2007 my mother was the victim of a homicide. We had not talked in years but at her funeral I decided to forgive and pursue my dream of medicine once more. I realized that my life had a greater purpose and I vowed to become a practitioner. I completed a local adult class in Medical Assisting and was the only intern hired at Walk in Medical Care.

The daily clinical staff at WIMC consisted primarily of one physician and one medical assistant. It was under these extensive circumstances Dr. Barawy became my mentor. He saw my passion and encouraged me to become a PA. Since the inherent nature of practice was Urgent/Family Care I was exposed to all specialties and ages. My learning ability was uninhibited as he urged me to present cases as a PA student would and work up my own differential diagnosis. The variety in Urgent Care meant we could start the day with a Pap smear and end with a laceration during a 15 hour shift but I loved it. I was able to triage my own patients, take X-rays, POCT, phlebotomy, mix and administer injections, order lab tests and numerous other things.

The next phase of clinical experience came when I moved to Austin, TX in 2009. I was hired into the Seton Family of Hospitals where I worked from 2009-2011 in various clinics such as Seton Institute for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery as a medical/clinical assistant. I attended college at both Texas State University and Austin Community College maintaining a 4.0, President’s Honor Roll, and membership to Phi Theta Kappa. My charity work continued in cases such as my CF patient at Dell Children’s for whom I raised $26,000.00 for a bilateral lung transplant.

However in 2011 my dedication was once again tested. I went through a divorce, was the victim of Domestic Abuse from a “friend” who stole everything I ever owned, and was homeless. Eventually I was able to get counseling through Safe Place and a transfer to Texas Women’s University. The only thing that kept me going was the desire to practice medicine and exemplifying Frost’s “miles to go before I sleep.” Now I live in Dallas, TX where I routinely volunteer with Buckner International, Richardson Humane Society, and support Meals on Wheels through collaboration with Kalachandji’s. The pride I feel knowing I will graduate in May 2013 with a BGS degree focusing on Women’s Studies and start PA school is unparalleled remembering where I started many years ago.

As I look back I know the desire to serve humanity has only been strengthened by my own life. I cried when my first patient died from breast cancer and pneumonia. I can still remember the nurse saying that was exactly why I needed to go into medicine, because I cared so much. Spending half my life in a third world country, Trinidad, where going outside was forbidden only made me fight harder for educational freedom. Everything that I went through was simply the obstacle needed to make me a more compassionate PA. I represent my patients because I have lived in their shoes.

While my hands-on experience as a medical assistant has given me the clinical foundation for success as a PA, my unique life has given me the compassion to serve patients during times of malaise. I know what rock bottom feels like firsthand the never ending struggle to get better. My desire is to be the PA who makes a difference and inspires the fight for survival in my patients. The PA profession is simply the license to make Gandhi’s words come true and be the change I wish to see in the world.

Hi, you've obviously been through a lot - good on you to keep going. I think your experiences will really help make you a great PA.

Now, a bit of advice on your PS.. I honestly think that it is too long, and goes into too much personal detail about your life. It does not come off as professional. Of course you want to share personal details about your motivation, and what makes you, you, but I think you need to concentrate on why you want to be a PA specifically (not a Dr, nurse, etc) and how you are a capable professional. I would condense your personal experiences into 1 paragraph, framing it as that you've had to over come a lot of obstacles and how that has made you compassionate and determined (or whatever you chose to say).

Also, you say that you are graduating in 2013 and then will start PA school - you mean you have a goal of starting PA school, right? The way it's written sounds like you're already in.

Just IMHO, the statement is too emotional - I was a sociology major in my first degree, so trust me I understand your instincts to write this way. However, remember that this is a science-based field and you want to come across and pulled together and 'tough.'

Best of luck!

Hi, you've obviously been through a lot - good on you to keep going. I think your experiences will really help make you a great PA.

Now, a bit of advice on your PS.. I honestly think that it is too long, and goes into too much personal detail about your life. It does not come off as professional. Of course you want to share personal details about your motivation, and what makes you, you, but I think you need to concentrate on why you want to be a PA specifically (not a Dr, nurse, etc) and how you are a capable professional. I would condense your personal experiences into 1 paragraph, framing it as that you've had to over come a lot of obstacles and how that has made you compassionate and determined (or whatever you chose to say).

Also, you say that you are graduating in 2013 and then will start PA school - you mean you have a goal of starting PA school, right? The way it's written sounds like you're already in.

Just IMHO, the statement is too emotional - I was a sociology major in my first degree, so trust me I understand your instincts to write this way. However, remember that this is a science-based field and you want to come across and pulled together and 'tough.'

Best of luck!

Best of luck!

I agree with a lot of the things that briepm said. You definitely go into too much detail regarding your personal life - while you have been through a lot, you don't want to come across as you wanting them to feel sorry for you. When I wrote my PS, I maybe dedicated 1 small paragraph to my background. The rest of my essay, 2 or 3 paragraphs, focused on why I wanted to become a PA specifically - your statement really doesn't address that - and I ended with where I see myself in 10 years. I used one main past experience to tie everything together. And, I would take out the Ghandi reference out in the end. Just my thoughts.

I agree with a lot of the things that briepm said. You definitely go into too much detail regarding your personal life - while you have been through a lot, you don't want to come across as you wanting them to feel sorry for you. When I wrote my PS, I maybe dedicated 1 small paragraph to my background. The rest of my essay, 2 or 3 paragraphs, focused on why I wanted to become a PA specifically - your statement really doesn't address that - and I ended with where I see myself in 10 years. I used one main past experience to tie everything together. And, I would take out the Ghandi reference out in the end. Just my thoughts.

Guest hubbardtim48

No need to state your gpa, honor's etc.. thats all in your info. from caspa. Less on your life & more on WHY you would love to be a PA and how you made your decision to become a PA. Sounds to me you would like to be an DO/MD? Spend less than 1 paragraph on other things and the rest is PA, PA, PA. I was depressed reading your P.S. and I should not feel that way. Be happy and exciting on what you have learned and how it made you a better person today and a better pre-PA. Good luck! :)

Guest hubbardtim48

No need to state your gpa, honor's etc.. thats all in your info. from caspa. Less on your life & more on WHY you would love to be a PA and how you made your decision to become a PA. Sounds to me you would like to be an DO/MD? Spend less than 1 paragraph on other things and the rest is PA, PA, PA. I was depressed reading your P.S. and I should not feel that way. Be happy and exciting on what you have learned and how it made you a better person today and a better pre-PA. Good luck! :)

Guest hubbardtim48

I agree - the personal circumstances are extraordinary but should be an extra highlight that you touch upon with the main focus of the essay being on your professional abilities and your motivation and goals for being a PA specifically. Although ADCOMs appreciate strength in the face of adversity, you want the committee's main reaction to be positive and leave them impressed with your accomplishments and professionalism, not leave them feeling sorry for you and your circumstances. I wish you all the best! :)

I agree - the personal circumstances are extraordinary but should be an extra highlight that you touch upon with the main focus of the essay being on your professional abilities and your motivation and goals for being a PA specifically. Although ADCOMs appreciate strength in the face of adversity, you want the committee's main reaction to be positive and leave them impressed with your accomplishments and professionalism, not leave them feeling sorry for you and your circumstances. I wish you all the best! :)

Archived