Dismissed as an Undergrad Student

Hey, Hope everyone’s doing well 

So, got dismissed for college during my 2nd year  due to poor grades, Didn’t care much about school then, It’s been 1 years since being dismissed and had the time to think about what I wanna do in life and did some research came across PA, I love what PA’s and I would love to do that, I’m planning on going back to College and pursue my dream of becoming a PA.So I wanna know what are my chances of getting accepted to PA school/Program knowing that I was academically dismissed. I will work hard on my GPA, Recommendations, HCE, just wanna if I have any chance of getting in

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it and change. It might be a difficult road to get there but not impossible. You’ll be asked why and be ready to explain what went on in your personal statement and how have you changed and what will you do differently. PA schools will look at it as a red flag but as long as you make positive improvements, develop good skills, and seek help to ensure you don’t get dismissed while in PA school. You’ll need a couple of years of solid coursework to prove you’re ready (also recovering your GPA), so I wouldn’t recommend applying in the next year. Remember that no applicant is perfect we all make mistakes along the way but it’s what you do about your mistakes, how you learn from them is what makes you a strong applicant. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guest5798 said:

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it and change. It might be a difficult road to get there but not impossible. You’ll be asked why and be ready to explain what went on in your personal statement and how have you changed and what will you do differently. PA schools will look at it as a red flag but as long as you make positive improvements, develop good skills, and seek help to ensure you don’t get dismissed while in PA school. You’ll need a couple of years of solid coursework to prove you’re ready (also recovering your GPA), so I wouldn’t recommend applying in the next year. Remember that no applicant is perfect we all make mistakes along the way but it’s what you do about your mistakes, how you learn from them is what makes you a strong applicant. 

Conceding I do all that, will a Bachelors Degree be enough or will I need a Master Degree because I was dismissed? 

4 minutes ago, Nurul said:

Conceding I do all that, will a Bachelors Degree be enough or will I need a Master Degree because I was dismissed? 

Its debatable, I personally don’t believe in getting a masters degree truly because it’s such an expensive route to take to only support that you can handle the rigors of grad school—it’s an extremely expensive option to do that doesn’t really raise your GPA significantly. PA school is expensive so you have to consider the cost of everything. What I would recommend is to do post bachelor classes if you need to. IMO take a lot of upper division science classes in undergrad, do well in them. Caspa uses the OVERALL gpa to weed out those that don’t meet GPA requirements for programs. You’re in a somewhat fortunate position since you haven’t graduated and have the opportunity to catch up and raise your undergraduate gpa. Like I said it’s going to be a lot of work! But it’s doable. I’ve attached the caspa application guide on how they calculate your gpa and of course only apply to schools that will weight what benefits you like the programs that look only at the last 60 units of credits etc. I hope that helps. 

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Submitting_and_Monitoring_Your_CASPA_Application/Verification_and_GPA_Calculations_for_CASPA/2_How_Your_GPA_is_Calculated#Overview

2 minutes ago, Guest5798 said:

Its debatable, I personally don’t believe in getting a masters degree truly because it’s such an expensive route to take to only support that you can handle the rigors of grad school—it’s an extremely expensive option to do that doesn’t really raise your GPA significantly. PA school is expensive so you have to consider the cost of everything. What I would recommend is to do post bachelor classes if you need to. IMO take a lot of upper division science classes in undergrad, do well in them. Caspa uses the OVERALL gpa to weed out those that don’t meet GPA requirements for programs. You’re in a somewhat fortunate position since you haven’t graduated and have the opportunity to catch up and raise your undergraduate gpa. Like I said it’s going to be a lot of work! But it’s doable. I’ve attached the caspa application guide on how they calculate your gpa and of course only apply to schools that will weight what benefits you like the programs that look only at the last 60 units of credits etc. I hope that helps. 

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Submitting_and_Monitoring_Your_CASPA_Application/Verification_and_GPA_Calculations_for_CASPA/2_How_Your_GPA_is_Calculated#Overview

Thank You So Much