Hey guys! I'm 24 and have recently been accepted into a PA program, but I keep having second thoughts.

My whole life I have been interested in medicine and health care. However, I am also a more quiet/introverted/awkward person and deal with social anxiety at times. For patient care hours this past year I became a phlebotomist. Although I loved learning about blood drawing and enjoyed the hands on aspect of it, the actual job itself was very draining for me. I worked at a very busy lab that saw over a 100 patients a day. Having to interact with so many patients left me feeling exhausted once I clocked out. I guess sometimes I wonder if I am making the right choice for myself career wise.

I have shadowed many PAs and enjoyed those experiences, but I know shadowing and actually doing it are two different things. I also shadowed a Pathology Assistant, thinking that may be a better fit for me, but found it slightly repetitive and actually a little too isolating. 

I was wondering if anyone else had similar worries once upon a time? If there are specialties more geared towards introvert/quiet people? Or ones that see a lower volume of patients? Or maybe this isn't the best path for me? 

Edited by lynn1862

As a fellow introvert/misanthrope, I know where you are coming from. 

You might find patient care is not too bad. It is generally 1 on 1, and the conversations tend to generally be fairly structured with a focus. After initial pleasantries, you don't have to worry much about small talk. "What brings you here? How long has that been going on? How would you rate it on a scale of 1-10? Have you also noticed x..."

You'd probably be better off in a specialty other than something like FM or peds. For some reason, all the nephrology guys I have known are big introverts and severely intelligent. 

Edited by CJAdmission
  • Upvote 1

I'm an introvert also and had similar worries going into PA school.  Don't sweat it.  Go into an inpatient specialty and your face to face time will be more controlled/limited.  Also like CJ mentioned, patient interaction tends to be more 1 on 1.  It won't be as draining as you think.

Congratulations on your acceptance!  As an introvert/quieter-type person myself, I understand your concerns.  There have been times in school and clinicals that I have felt drained from all the interaction, and I've realized that I need to not be afraid to take some time by myself to rest.  It's a discipline, because there's pressure to just keep going and wear yourself out--and while sometimes that just has to happen, you can make things better in the long term by learning to squeeze in short breaks or quiet times.  And then of course take care of your body outside of work time with proper sleep.

Best wishes for your schooling from a fellow former phlebotomist!  🙂

Agree with much of the above.  Patient care is goal driven with a loose script for you to follow.  You'll have questions to ask with a purpose behind them. There's little small talk.  There's a defined end point (appointment time is over, results received and diagnosis made etc...).  I find I'm less socially exhausted after a busy ER shift than I am after an hour in any other social-type situation.

There is an adjustment to it.  It'll be far easier an adjustment than you think.

Introverts unite!  Separately!  In your own places of residence!

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Chasendreams
      Hello, I am Chase Bernardy, a current 3rd Year at CSUSB - Cal State San Bernardino as Kinesiology Allied Health Major with a minor in Biology and overall GPA of 3.7. I am in desperate need to shadow in order to graduate on time. I work as an EMT and Phlebotomist, and am taking more medical classes this summer. Any help would be appreciated, I understand the difficulty with COVID, but I am not afraid of the task. Have a good day!
    • By catters
      I know that you can literally major in ANYTHING, but do some programs have an inherent preference for science majors. Would majoring in for instance Communications, be seen as taking the "easy way out". Obviously, getting an A in a upper division communications class is easier than getting an A in a upper division biology class (not a pre-req). This would lead to a high cGPA but will pa programs hold this against you in some way???
    • By TallPA
      Hello everyone,
      I have been playing professional baseball since 2014. Due to covid, there is a chance my career could be cut short due to contracts (long un-needed story). I was a student athlete in college until I was drafted after my junior year in 2014. There are definitely more difficult situations out there, but being a student athlete at my school meant I had 2-3 hours to study per day starting at 8-9pm and we lifted at 5am every day. Finishing my degree in minor league baseball was just as tough. 12 hour bus rides twice a week, hotels, 10 hour days at the field, and playing for 6 months with only 2 days off a month. Not trying to make excuses, it was just tough for me.
      I still need to take organic chemistry, but my cGPA is 3.3 and my sGPA is 3.2. I have not taken the GRE and I have about 80 documented hours of shadowing, with over 300 undocumented hours.

Until it is certain my career has ended, what can I do to stay fresh on all my sciences? Have I missed anything to apply for PA school? Do I have a chance of getting in to school? A friend of mine is a physician and said medical/PA schools love unique stories and backgrounds. Even with my story, I want everything else to show I have a passion for medicine and I’m willing to bust my butt in school when I can strictly focus on school.
      Thank y’all in advance for any honest feedback!
    • By chaerui
      Hello! I'm currently taking ochem (the second ochem class to complete the ochem unit requirements for some pa programs) but I'm not taking the lab. Would the lab be needed to complete the unit requirement even though my ochem units would suffice? there's literally one school I am going to apply to that says preferred requirement for ochem or biochem preferred with lab but I am not taking lab because of the course load. Would it detrimental if i dont take lab at all? as long as im taking the ochem classes..? 
      another thing, some schools require spanish but i took 4 years of spanish in high school (including the AP examination): is this acceptable?
    • By AhmedRehman
      Hi my name is Ahmed Rehman and Im a college student that attends Suffolk Community College. Im here to ask if there is any Physician Assistants around my area that are willing to allow me to shadow them. I was really interested in this career path since at a young age and I would love to shadow during the summer. I live around in East Patchogue and Brookhaven. Thank you.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More