Leave UC job for ER fellowship?

I am a new grad as of December. I was an EMT before school and my favorite rotation was ER. I ultimately want to work in the ER, but none of my local ERs will hire new grads. I applied to a local competitive ER fellowship that only takes 3 PA fellows per year, but after interviewing I was originally told I did not get accepted. Since then I accepted a UC job with the intentions of working there for a year to gain experience and then apply to ER jobs/fellowships again next year. I have been working at the UC job for 4 weeks now, but yesterday I got an email from the ER fellowship saying they had a spot open up and they would like to offer it to me. The fellowship starts July 1st. Do I leave my current position to do the fellowship, or tell them I accepted another job after the original rejection and try again next year? Will leaving this early look bad on a resumé? If I do leave for the fellowship should I talk to the UC about it now, or keep working until closer to when the fellowship starts? I'm still in the 90 day probationary period so I don't want them to just let me go if I bring up the fellowship because I really need the income. After the probationary period, I have to give a 90 day notice before leaving. Probation period is over toward the end of April, which wouldn't leave 90 days before the fellowship started. Thanks for the advice in advance!

Edited by dhf95

Do you have a family? Will you have to relocate? Can you postpone the residency until next year? If not, I do not think that would look bad on your resume at all. If you plan on leaving for residency, I would not say anything right now if you need the income. The probation period is there for a reason. 

43 minutes ago, Believe said:

Do you have a family? Will you have to relocate? Can you postpone the residency until next year? If not, I do not think that would look bad on your resume at all. If you plan on leaving for residency, I would not say anything right now if you need the income. The probation period is there for a reason. 

I am getting married in October, but no kids yet. Won’t have to relocate, but will increase my current 15 minute commute to about 45 minutes. I can reapply next year, but no guarantee of getting in. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 11:49 AM, dhf95 said:

Thanks everyone! I decided to do the fellowship, and I’m extremely excited. Any advice on books/materials/podcasts to look into prior to starting in July?

Learn ECGs. Otherwise chill out and relax until then. If you have spare money you could listen to some EMRAP otherwise you'll get the training there.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 11:49 AM, dhf95 said:

Thanks everyone! I decided to do the fellowship, and I’m extremely excited. Any advice on books/materials/podcasts to look into prior to starting in July?

Crackcast is a great place to start. They go through rosens in podcast form. EMRAP is great for us core curriculum as well as their procedural videos. EMA is on EMRAP as well for new literature. Sign up for Amal mattu’s weekly ECG and pick up his 2 EM ECG books to work through those before starting. Pick up EM pocket book to have with you in the ED. It’s a quick, easy, only things you need to know on shift reference

• Like 1