Attention Florida PA’s

From President Elect Gregory Burns with FAPA:

Hi all, I can't make this clearer. Our PA profession in Florida is in a state of crisis! We need all Florida PAs and PA Students to make contact (Calls and Emails) with 21 Florida Senators to have our profession included in Senate Bill (SB) 1676. With our inclusion, this Bill will authorize autonomy for primary care APRNs and PAs within our State.

The FAPA Legislative Team needs your help now to spread the word to all of the 21 Senators on the Appropriations Committee. See below for their contact information
Feel free to use this template and modify it for your own message to the Senators. 

Click here to find the contact information to http://www.flsenate.gov/Committees/Show/AP?pref=full and ask for PA inclusion in SB 1676.

Spread the word to everyone!! I plan to do this every single day until we are heard!  

Thank you in advance for taking action on this very important matter.

Gregory Burns, DHSc, PA-C, DFAAPA
FAPA President-Elect

Dear Senator______________,
My name is ________________PA-C. I am a physician assistant (PA) within the State of Florida. In a surprise development last Tuesday, an amendment to a Direct Care Act bill, SB 1676, was put forward to authorize autonomy for primary care APRNs, but not for PAs (or mid-wives or nurse anesthetists).
I am writing to request that you amend and/or support an amendment to SB1676.
This legislation will expand access to high-quality care for the people of Florida, but the language currently leaves out a large group of highly qualified medical professionals, who are currently providing primary care services to Florida patients: PAs.

Within PA education, PAs gain over 2000 hours of clinical patient care hours in generalist/primary care medicine prior to graduation. After graduation, PAs maintain education standards that keep them current on medical standards of care, by obtaining at least 100 certified medical education (CME) hours every 2 years. Furthermore, PAs take a certification exam every 10 years to ensure their competency in primary care medicine.

PAs are medical care providers who diagnose illness, develop and manage treatment plans, prescribe medications, and serve as a patient's principal healthcare provider. Over 10,000 PAs practice in Florida. Leaving PAs out of this legislation was an oversight that will negatively impact medical care for a large number of Florida patients, especially those in rural and underserved areas of Florida.
Our patients, our state and our profession cannot afford to accept legislation that excludes PAs.
Please support or amend SB1676 to include PAs.

Thank you,
Your name and credentials.

• Like 2

It's all about perception. I wish you guys the best of luck, but we should of had our damn name changed years ago to include "Provider" or "Practitioner".  It would of made explaining to your lawmakers a hell of a lot easier than trying to include the name "Assistant" on any bill that has "Autonomy" included.  Still, I wish you the best.

• Upvote 3

FYI to everyone:  You do NOT have to live/practice in Florida to send this e-mail. I practice elsewhere and just e-mailed all 21 senators without having to provide a Florida address. 

If we want OTP to become the norm across the nation we should be doing what we can to participate in activism and support it however/wherever we can, not just in our home state.

Good luck Florida!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PA-C said:

FYI to everyone:  You do NOT have to live/practice in Florida to send this e-mail. I practice elsewhere and just e-mailed all 21 senators without having to provide a Florida address. 

If we want OTP to become the norm across the nation we should be doing what we can to participate in activism and support it however/wherever we can, not just in our home state.

Good luck Florida!!!

Thank you!

On 2/22/2020 at 5:06 AM, PA-C said:
FYI to everyone:  You do NOT have to live/practice in Florida to send this e-mail. I practice elsewhere and just e-mailed all 21 senators without having to provide a Florida address.  If we want OTP to become the norm across the nation we should be doing what we can to participate in activism and support it however/wherever we can, not just in our home state.

Good luck Florida!!!

I just did the same thing. on my phone i can see the senators email addreses but it was difficult to write the letter on my phone so i used my laptop...but on the laptop, the site does not list the emails and sends you to a form requiring a florida address... sooo i looked up each address on my phone and MANUALLY entered all the email addresses lol. "VIVA LA (PA) REVOLUCION!!!" LOL Here are the email addresses of the senators:

bradley.rob.web@flsenate.gov

simpson.wilton.web@flsenate.gov,
bean.aaron.web@flsenate.gov,
benacquisto.lizbeth.web@flsenate.gov,
book.lauren.web@flsenate.gov,
brandes.jeff.web@flsenate.gov,
braynon.oscar.web@flsenate.gov,
flores.anitere.web@flsenate.gov,
gainer.george.web@flsenate.gov,
gibson.audrey.web@flsenate.gov,
hutson.travis.web@flsenate.gov,
lee.tom.web@flsenate.gov,
mayfield.debbie.web@flsenate.gov,
montford.bill.web@flsenate.gov,
passidomo.kathleen.web@flsenate.gov,
powell.bobby.web@flsenate.gov,
rouson.darryl.web@flsenate.gov,
simmons.david.web@flsenate.gov,
stargel.kelli.web@flsenate.gov,
stewart.linda.web@flsenate.gov,
thurston.perry.web@flsenate.gov

galvano.bill.web@flsenate.gov

copy and paste it on your recipient list on your email...youre welcome! lol

Glad to help out FAPA! Hope Florida gets this and becomes a catalyst nationwide!

Edited by Joelseff
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

So even non Florida PA’s, Do you have  ANY friends, family etc. with a home, vacation home.. in Florida. Send them the info and ask them to send an email.or if you can send one with their info.  Also ask if you can call, on their behalf. On big ticket items, don’t leave it to only state PA’s power in numbers. Read attached below on the support /Power NP’s Have in legislation!  SCARY!!! Everyone send a post card with return address of either friend or maybe the Florida PA association to:

House SPeaker Jose Olivia   402 South Monroe      420 The Capital     Tallahassee, FL  323991300
https://fnpn.enpnetwork.com/nurse-practitioner-news/208716-speaker-of-the-house-representative-jose-oliva-opens-the-2020-history-made-for-florida-nps

18 minutes ago, Hope2PA said:

So even non Florida PA’s, Do you have  ANY friends, family etc. with a home, vacation home.. in Florida. Send them the info and ask them to send an email.or if you can send one with their info.  Also ask if you can call, on their behalf. On big ticket items, don’t leave it to only state PA’s power in numbers. Read attached below on the support /Power NP’s Have in legislation!  SCARY!!! Everyone send a post card with return address of either friend or maybe the Florida PA association to:

House SPeaker Jose Olivia   402 South Monroe      420 The Capital     Tallahassee, FL  323991300
https://fnpn.enpnetwork.com/nurse-practitioner-news/208716-speaker-of-the-house-representative-jose-oliva-opens-the-2020-history-made-for-florida-nps

Also, Representative Gary Pigman, MD, there is a direct email, no address required. I sent one with subject of Include PA’s  . He is house, not senate, but everything helps.

Gary.Pigman@myfloridahouse.gov

3 hours ago, Joelseff said:

I just did the same thing. on my phone i can see the senators email addreses but it was difficult to write the letter on my phone so i used my laptop...but on the laptop, the site does not list the emails and sends you to a form requiring a florida address... sooo i looked up each address on my phone and MANUALLY entered all the email addresses lol. "VIVA LA (PA) REVOLUCION!!!" LOL

Here are the email addresses of the senators:

bradley.rob.web@flsenate.gov

simpson.wilton.web@flsenate.gov,
bean.aaron.web@flsenate.org,
benacquisto.lizbeth.web@flsenate.gov,
book.lauren.web@flsenate.gov,
brandes.jeff.web@flsenate.gov,
braynon.oscar.web@flsenate.gov,
flores.anitere.web@flsenate.gov,
gainer.george.web@flsenate.gov,
gibson.audrey.web@flsenate.gov,
hutson.travis.web@flsenate.gov,
lee.tom.web@flsenate.gov,
mayfield.debbie.web@flsenate.gov,
montford.bill.web@flsenate.gov,
passidomo.kathleen.web@flsenate.gov,
powell.bobby.web@flsenate.gov,
rouson.darryl.web@flsenate.gov,
simmons.david.web@flsenate.gov,
stargel.kelli.web@flsenate.gov,
stewart.linda.web@flsenate.gov,
thurston.perry.web@flsenate.gov

copy and paste it on your recipient list on your email...youre welcome! lol

Glad to help out FAPA! Hope Florida gets this and becomes a catalyst nationwide!

LOL I also did them from my phone I shoulda mentioned that! 

• Like 1

Just received a response from Senator Stewart saying SB1676 is now in the Appropriations Committee, but has not been scheduled on the agenda as of right now. She said when SB1676 comes before her for vote she will consider our request!

Edited by PA-C
font
  • Like 2

Just received a response from Senator Stewart saying SB1676 is now in the Appropriations Committee, but has not been scheduled on the agenda as of right now. She said when SB1676 comes before her for vote she will consider our request!
Got the same email! At least they read it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was a legislative staffer and I would suggest trying to customize your letter.  Form letters/emails generally get disregarded.  At best, they may get counted in the for or against pile.  

Also, letters or emails from individuals who are not constituents get ignored.  If you represent an organization, that would be different.