OP-ED from The Hill

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/484023-the-us-has-a-primary-care-shortage-scope-of-practice-reform-can-help

In the last 2 paragraphs, the author calls for granting NPs with full authority to both prescribe and practice independently.  Then says states should allow physicians to flexibly delegate treatment and prescribing duties at the practice level for PAs.

Guest HanSolo

Yet again another op-ed missing the point of what a PA is, simply by the name. 

Also, I did you all a favor and read the comments section for you. A lot of political bickering with nothing productive, per usual. 

I will save everyone the time...here is the money shot:

Liberalizing the scope of practice laws will grant Americans access to a wealth of talented healthcare providers. State legislators should grant NPs with full authority to both prescribe and practice independently. 

For PAs, states should allow physicians to flexibly delegate treatment and prescribing duties at the practice level. Mid-level healthcare providers have in-demand, and desperately needed, skills that can help alleviate our primary care shortage–if only states will let them.

I think the authors heart was in the right place, but was woefully uninformed as to PA's vs NP's but this is what you get when you are an "Assistant" or "Associate" and NOT a "Practitioner".

Honestly, it makes me sick

But hey...according to most older in charge PA's....we are fine.  

I'm not one of those "the sky is falling" type of folks.........but I really feel the PA profession is in for serious trouble if leadership and PACs don't start doing something STAT. The young bucks need to step up and run for leadership positions in AAPA, NCCPA, and state chapters. This is the only way to get the old guard out of the equation.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The author, Robert Orr, is a 1st year MA student at George Mason University in Virginia. This University has Nursing programs, BSN, MS, NP, Nurse leadership, Nurse PhD, DNP.  So a first year Grad student, is writing, probably just to get published . Likely all info fed to him from the Nursing programs at his school. However, the state of Virginia PA leadership, who didn’t’ even support OTP, is probably in full agreement and doesn’t give a crap. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2020 at 7:59 PM, Hope2PA said:

The author, Robert Orr, is a 1st year MA student at George Mason University in Virginia. This University has Nursing programs, BSN, MS, NP, Nurse leadership, Nurse PhD, DNP.  So a first year Grad student, is writing, probably just to get published . Likely all info fed to him from the Nursing programs at his school. However, the state of Virginia PA leadership, who didn’t’ even support OTP, is probably in full agreement and doesn’t give a crap. 

And at the same time the Florida PA president is sending out Urgent pleas to contact your FL senator as NP are getting ready to get independence with PA's being left out.  His words...PA's in Florida are in "Crisis" mode.  

Edited by Cideous

I actually had a nice back and forth email conversation with Robert last Friday. He seems like a very nice guy and was open to discussion. I gave him some information about PA training and expressed concerns about his recommendation for NP independence and PA collaboration.

His comments were based on his evaluation of current laws and trends and he used the NPs drive for independence and our efforts at collaboration as the basis for his suppositions. Basically he used our own words. 

After more discussion he stated his full support for independence for both groups within their respective skills and training and he had no intention of suggesting we were somehow lesser. 

My favorite part of the conversation? He opined that our training was very similar to the GP training in many other parts of the world where they simply practice medicine. "Are Americans just stupider than people in other countries? Do we really need 6 or 8 more years of training to provide these services?"

He is on our side.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sas5814 said:

His comments were based on his evaluation of current laws and trends and he used the NPs drive for independence and our efforts at collaboration as the basis for his suppositions. Basically he used our own words. 

lol nice.  Not surprising.  This is what's killing us.  We strive for OTP while NP's lap us yet again with independence and we are surprised by an article like this?  We shouldn't be.