Is Your Lobbyist Effective for OTP?

Guest Paula

I'm curious how many state chapters  have lobbyists hired to work for them to get OTP passed?

In Wisconsin we have an excellent lobbyist and his team who are helping us get OTP passed.  We have 2 steps left to go:  Floor vote in the Senate (expected to happen sometime in March) and then on to Governor for signing.  Keeping fingers crossed the Senate doesn't fail us.  

Our WI story: When I became President we had a lobbyist who was also the lobbyist for several specialty medical associations in the state.  I always thought that was weird as it seemed a conflict of interest to me.  His line was always "now is not the right time to go to the legislature".  By 6 months in I essentially fired him as we decided to put out requests for proposals for a new lobbyist.  It caused waves with the old guard state PA leaders, but , oh well,  change needed to  happen.

We hired a lobbyist firm and got 3 lobbyists and bit the bullet and pay them a handsome yearly fee to WORK FOR US.  We have not regretted the decision and the lobbyist said "Now is the time, it's always the time to be active in the capital to educate and get the ball rolling".  He worked, and worked and worked for us and has earned his salary, along with his 2 other colleagues who helped along the way.  I'm pretty sure they all wore out a pair of shoes every year.  We've had them for 4 years  now. 

So if your state organization has a lobbyist who is in any way connected with the state medical society or specialty physician groups FIRE them and get the ball rolling.  

You can do it!

8 hours ago, Paula said:

I'm curious how many state chapters  have lobbyists hired to work for them to get OTP passed?

In Wisconsin we have an excellent lobbyist and his team who are helping us get OTP passed.  We have 2 steps left to go:  Floor vote in the Senate (expected to happen sometime in March) and then on to Governor for signing.  Keeping fingers crossed the Senate doesn't fail us.  

Our WI story: When I became President we had a lobbyist who was also the lobbyist for several specialty medical associations in the state.  I always thought that was weird as it seemed a conflict of interest to me.  His line was always "now is not the right time to go to the legislature".  By 6 months in I essentially fired him as we decided to put out requests for proposals for a new lobbyist.  It caused waves with the old guard state PA leaders, but , oh well,  change needed to  happen.

We hired a lobbyist firm and got 3 lobbyists and bit the bullet and pay them a handsome yearly fee to WORK FOR US.  We have not regretted the decision and the lobbyist said "Now is the time, it's always the time to be active in the capital to educate and get the ball rolling".  He worked, and worked and worked for us and has earned his salary, along with his 2 other colleagues who helped along the way.  I'm pretty sure they all wore out a pair of shoes every year.  We've had them for 4 years  now. 

So if your state organization has a lobbyist who is in any way connected with the state medical society or specialty physician groups FIRE them and get the ball rolling. 

I hope you shared this on the Huddle.

PREACH!

For many years Texas had a shared lobbyist and executive director with the Texas Medical Association...the very group who most actively worked against us. Mind boggling. Things have changed in the last couple of years as a result of a rather significant scandal involving those 2 people.

Paula I appreciate your posts here and in the Huddle about your state's work. I often marvel at how many people yell about getting things done with no idea how much time and effort it takes. I can't imagine how any state society board, all of whom are part time volunteers, get anything done without a lobbyist. 

Edited by sas5814
  • Like 1