PA Title Change Debate at AAPA Impact 2012 HOD

This discussion will be academic soon. "Impact" will have no impact in a few more years. The AAPA has not been seen as a force for PAs, so they are being pushed aside. Especially now with CAQs, people have more of an affinity for specialty groups. An ER PA is much more likely to go to SEMPA or ACEP beofre taking time off to go to AAPA.

It is sad. When I was a "new" PA, I vividly recall going to jammed conferences running five lectures at a clip and all of the rooms were standing room only. I wasn't in Toronto, but I heard a significant number of lectures were cancelled each day. It is has been easy to perceive the AAPA as not listening to members. Now it looks like they don't always have their act together.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This discussion will be academic soon. "Impact" will have no impact in a few more years. The AAPA has not been seen as a force for PAs, so they are being pushed aside. Especially now with CAQs, people have more of an affinity for specialty groups. An ER PA is much more likely to go to SEMPA or ACEP beofre taking time off to go to AAPA.

It is sad. When I was a "new" PA, I vividly recall going to jammed conferences running five lectures at a clip and all of the rooms were standing room only. I wasn't in Toronto, but I heard a significant number of lectures were cancelled each day. It is has been easy to perceive the AAPA as not listening to members. Now it looks like they don't always have their act together.

I was in Toronto and actually there were only about 8 or so lectures that were cancelled all week. Last minute family crises, acute illnesses and passport issues, just like any other international conference.

There were also 8 workshops that were undersubscribed with only 3 or 4 folks signed on and they too were pulled.

So a bit of a stretch to call the number of cancellations "significant".

I was in Toronto and actually there were only about 8 or so lectures that were cancelled all week. Last minute family crises, acute illnesses and passport issues, just like any other international conference.

There were also 8 workshops that were undersubscribed with only 3 or 4 folks signed on and they too were pulled.

I was on the dias. In no way did Alan discourage the vote. He did remind Glen who called for the vote that there had never been a roll call vote in the history of the HOD. Then someone from the floor asked if there had been a second. Alan called for a second and you could hear crickets. In 9 years in the house that was the first time I have seen a motion fail for the lack of a second. Basically he couldn't get one person to support it. Realistically I thought it was pretty Bush. It would have taken more than half an hour to do the vote and wouldn't have changed a thing.

As far as accountability, the delegates are accountable to the people that elected them. If you disagree with the way the vote went, get involved and do something about it. If you want to know how people voted then ask your states chief delegate. I'm sure they know how things went.

As far as andesenpa's comment on 75% of a state voting, remember that there were members and non-members voting. Even if 75% voted in a state, it may not have been close to 75% of a state membership. A number of states polled their members and from what I heard most of the membership polls were against. Most state board discussed this and the few that took a stand voted as a block.

Even if the official vote tally would have accomplished nothing on the outcome of the vote, it would have let PAs know how their delegates represented them at the HOD. This ties into the census results. I'm not sure I follow you re: members and non members. Does it matter if an issue had majority support if the bulk of the voters are non chapter members? Delegates are representing the PAs in their state, not just members.

Also- delegates should be accountable. And the state's PAs should know how individual delegates voted in order to decide if they will support those delegates in the future. The reality for many PAs is the extent of our involvement comes from who we choose to represent us. We cannot all hold office or sit on a committee. The elected officials are there to represent those who can't serve directly in the organization.

I was on the dias. In no way did Alan discourage the vote. He did remind Glen who called for the vote that there had never been a roll call vote in the history of the HOD. Then someone from the floor asked if there had been a second. Alan called for a second and you could hear crickets. In 9 years in the house that was the first time I have seen a motion fail for the lack of a second. Basically he couldn't get one person to support it. Realistically I thought it was pretty Bush. It would have taken more than half an hour to do the vote and wouldn't have changed a thing.

As far as accountability, the delegates are accountable to the people that elected them. If you disagree with the way the vote went, get involved and do something about it. If you want to know how people voted then ask your states chief delegate. I'm sure they know how things went.

As far as andesenpa's comment on 75% of a state voting, remember that there were members and non-members voting. Even if 75% voted in a state, it may not have been close to 75% of a state membership. A number of states polled their members and from what I heard most of the membership polls were against. Most state board discussed this and the few that took a stand voted as a block.

Even if the official vote tally would have accomplished nothing on the outcome of the vote, it would have let PAs know how their delegates represented them at the HOD. This ties into the census results. I'm not sure I follow you re: members and non members. Does it matter if an issue had majority support if the bulk of the voters are non chapter members? Delegates are representing the PAs in their state, not just members.

Also- delegates should be accountable. And the state's PAs should know how individual delegates voted in order to decide if they will support those delegates in the future. The reality for many PAs is the extent of our involvement comes from who we choose to represent us. We cannot all hold office or sit on a committee. The elected officials are there to represent those who can't serve directly in the organization.

AndersenPA: If you want to drive in your state, you have to have a license.

Delegates are elected by the AAPA Fellow members in a state, and represent that constituency first and foremost. Yes, they also represent the profession, but their first priority is to represent AAPA fellow members in the policy decisions of the AAPA. Delegate are accountable and are elected every 12 months. It is your responsibility as an AAPA member to hold your state or specialty organizations' delegates accountable. These people are your peers, who give up their Memorial Day weekends ever year to make the best decisions that they can on behalf of the Academy and profession, considering all the information and facts presented to them in reference committee hearing, and many other sources, the census being one. If you want to know how your delegates voted, ask them.

Delegates are elected by the AAPA Fellow members in a state, and represent that constituency first and foremost. Yes, they also represent the profession, but their first priority is to represent AAPA fellow members in the policy decisions of the AAPA. Delegate are accountable and are elected every 12 months. It is your responsibility as an AAPA member to hold your state or specialty organizations' delegates accountable. These people are your peers, who give up their Memorial Day weekends ever year to make the best decisions that they can on behalf of the Academy and profession, considering all the information and facts presented to them in reference committee hearing, and many other sources, the census being one. If you want to know how your delegates voted, ask them.

I've been in a running conversation with my chief delegate before and after Toronto.

Perhaps it's a difference in philosophy, that a delegate prioritizes the representation of the chapter members who elected them over the state's PAs as a whole. I'm sure you can see how this can potentially lead to a minority overriding the will of the majority.

Maybe this is spelled out in the house bylaws, I don't know.

I've been in a running conversation with my chief delegate before and after Toronto.

Perhaps it's a difference in philosophy, that a delegate prioritizes the representation of the chapter members who elected them over the state's PAs as a whole. I'm sure you can see how this can potentially lead to a minority overriding the will of the majority.

andersenpa

the elected delegates represents the MEMBERSHIP of the PAs who belong to the state academy and to the AAPA, as such the delegates only represent the PAs who choose to participate in the process of belonging and supporting the organizations that represent the PA profession.

perhaps this quote from Thomas Jefferson applies to the debate and decisions on the topic;

"We are not a nation of the majority, rather a nation of the majority who choose to participate"

andersenpa

the elected delegates represents the MEMBERSHIP of the PAs who belong to the state academy and to the AAPA, as such the delegates only represent the PAs who choose to participate in the process of belonging and supporting the organizations that represent the PA profession.

perhaps this quote from Thomas Jefferson applies to the debate and decisions on the topic;

"We are not a nation of the majority, rather a nation of the majority who choose to participate"

andersenpa

Archived