Debating on PA vs NP

Hello everyone, first off I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and giving me any sort of input as I am extremely indecisive on this topic. A little about me:
I am a 19 year old male who is currently attending a mid-size private college in NY and pursuing a Health Science degree, on track to graduate in 3 semesters. I also recently got my EMT certification and have been volunteering at my local ambulance corp for the past 7 months as an EMS member, and really enjoy it.

I have been set on going into healthcare since high school, and I have multiple members in my family who work in the health care field who have been an influence on my decision. I am looking to go into primary care, and right now, I am having an extremely tough time deciding whether to pursue NP or PA. I know some of you may be thinking, you're so young, why don't you just go to medical school? The truth is, I am scared of all the loans after medical school and don't see it as a wise financial thing to do. For a while, after researching a ton of PA schools, I am baffled at how expensive these programs have become over the past couple of years, around $100,000 for the whole program, plus I have to account for rent, food, car, etc. I wouldn't be able to pay this during school so this could skyrocket with interest to almost or over 200k.

Or, I can pursue NP. I can easily transfer schools smoothly right now (commute to school 20 min away) and get my BSN within 2 years, graduate, and work as a RN. I would have about 20k of undergrad loans after graduating, live with my family who provide housing and food, and work my ass off for 2 years as a nurse and save as much money as I can, as I am about 45 minutes from NYC and could potentially get a good gig at hospitals/clinics near me. This would give me a good head start at NP school, with experience and savings of at least 75k+. After my experience as an RN, I will pursue an NP degree from a top ranked school where I can get as much clinical and hands on experience as I can

NOTE: I know that there is an abundance of horrible NP programs right now and how they don't learn nearly as much as someone who goes to PA school who has a bunch of set up rotations for them and rigorous classes. I am willing to go to a top ranked school and get as much education as I can to be a competent NP, which I know I can and will be if I choose to go this route.

With my savings after being an RN, I would have minimal loans graduating NP school because I saved so much. That way, I can start working as an NP and have no loan burden on my shoulders. Also, I feel as a PA, pathways are pretty limited. NPs have serious political advantage over them, and have autonomy. I want to work in education when I am older and continue to learn and move up and have potential in my career, and I feel as an NP there would be less obstacles then being a PA as I don't see many of them in administration roles or things of that nature.
Thanks again!

6 hours ago, MT2PA said:

Sounds like you have it all figured out.  Not sure what question you actually have at this point or why you'd bring it to a PA forum.

6 hours ago, Pa98173jd said:

Agree with MT2PA. Sounds like your mind has been made up but I have to STRONGLY disagree with you on the limitations of the PA profession, especially considering how freely a PA can practice in the short and long term. Another thing to keep in mind is that the NP primary care role is pretty saturated in many states.

I just wanted some feedback of people who already have years in the field and could provide any sort of feedback of if I am making a well informed decision. Thank you for your feedback!

4 hours ago, UGoLong said:

The OP is a first timer with one of the strangest posts I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have always lurked around the forums, looking at information that is useful to me for the past several months. I had no reason to post prior to this..just wanted some advice from PAs who have been practicing for a while. Thank you.

I have always lurked around the forums, looking at information that is useful to me for the past several months. I had no reason to post prior to this..just wanted some advice from PAs who have been practicing for a while. Thank you.

Thanks.

Your post doesn’t sound indecisive to me. What’s your question?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, SimonRuba said:

Hello everyone, first off I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and giving me any sort of input as I am extremely indecisive on this topic. A little about me:
I am a 19 year old male who is currently attending a mid-size private college in NY and pursuing a Health Science degree, on track to graduate in 3 semesters. I also recently got my EMT certification and have been volunteering at my local ambulance corp for the past 7 months as an EMS member, and really enjoy it.

I have been set on going into healthcare since high school, and I have multiple members in my family who work in the health care field who have been an influence on my decision. I am looking to go into primary care, and right now, I am having an extremely tough time deciding whether to pursue NP or PA. I know some of you may be thinking, you're so young, why don't you just go to medical school? The truth is, I am scared of all the loans after medical school and don't see it as a wise financial thing to do. For a while, after researching a ton of PA schools, I am baffled at how expensive these programs have become over the past couple of years, around $100,000 for the whole program, plus I have to account for rent, food, car, etc. I wouldn't be able to pay this during school so this could skyrocket with interest to almost or over 200k.

Or, I can pursue NP. I can easily transfer schools smoothly right now (commute to school 20 min away) and get my BSN within 2 years, graduate, and work as a RN. I would have about 20k of undergrad loans after graduating, live with my family who provide housing and food, and work my ass off for 2 years as a nurse and save as much money as I can, as I am about 45 minutes from NYC and could potentially get a good gig at hospitals/clinics near me. This would give me a good head start at NP school, with experience and savings of at least 75k+. After my experience as an RN, I will pursue an NP degree from a top ranked school where I can get as much clinical and hands on experience as I can

NOTE: I know that there is an abundance of horrible NP programs right now and how they don't learn nearly as much as someone who goes to PA school who has a bunch of set up rotations for them and rigorous classes. I am willing to go to a top ranked school and get as much education as I can to be a competent NP, which I know I can and will be if I choose to go this route.

With my savings after being an RN, I would have minimal loans graduating NP school because I saved so much. That way, I can start working as an NP and have no loan burden on my shoulders. Also, I feel as a PA, pathways are pretty limited. NPs have serious political advantage over them, and have autonomy. I want to work in education when I am older and continue to learn and move up and have potential in my career, and I feel as an NP there would be less obstacles then being a PA as I don't see many of them in administration roles or things of that nature.
Thanks again!

If you are looking for why we choose our professions as a PA, I would be happy to write that. I switched careers, and becoming a PA was a better fit for me. I never wanted to be a nurse, so the NP route was not for me. If you are looking at this from a financial view it sounds like taking the NP route is better for you, but you could always do a BSN and then become a PA later. If you interested in becoming a CRNA that is a cool route RNs can take. PAs can work in pretty much any medical specialty within their scope of practice and for most hospital systems that scope is high. Where I live the hospital systems respects PAs, and has created an entire department for PA leadership with administrative roles. The PA profession is also trying to gain their own political leverage too. I recently was on Capital Hill for advocacy, and I can say PAs are working hard. However, being a new grad the reality is I do often get passed up for NPs due to administrative issues like needing a co-signature by a collaborating Physician etc, but this is not because a PA has less of a scope as a NP, we just need more legislative leverage. Being in the PA profession is a wonderful opportunity, my education has been phenomenal. Hope this provides some insight to you.

3 hours ago, Teacher2PAC said:

If you are looking for why we choose our professions as a PA, I would be happy to write that. I switched careers, and becoming a PA was a better fit for me. I never wanted to be a nurse, so the NP route was not for me. If you are looking at this from a financial view it sounds like taking the NP route is better for you, but you could always do a BSN and then become a PA later. If you interested in becoming a CRNA that is a cool route RNs can take. PAs can work in pretty much any medical specialty within their scope of practice and for most hospital systems that scope is high. Where I live the hospital systems respects PAs, and has created an entire department for PA leadership with administrative roles. The PA profession is also trying to gain their own political leverage too. I recently was on Capital Hill for advocacy, and I can say PAs are working hard. However, being a new grad the reality is I do often get passed up for NPs due to administrative issues like needing a co-signature by a collaborating Physician etc, but this is not because a PA has less of a scope as a NP, we just need more legislative leverage. Being in the PA profession is a wonderful opportunity, my education has been phenomenal. Hope this provides some insight to you.

Thank you so much for your insight. Do you think eventually PAs will have the same political backing as NPs? The number of PAs continues to rise so I would hope the political body grows as well.

3 hours ago, SimonRuba said:

Thank you so much for your insight. Do you think eventually PAs will have the same political backing as NPs? The number of PAs continues to rise so I would hope the political body grows as well.

In California, as of January 2020, PAs gained so much political backing such as not needing a cosignature, any direct supervision, and not having physician's name on a prescription the PA is ordering. This is obviously different for each state but there isnt much to stop all states of adopting the same amendments.

2 hours ago, Pa98173jd said:

In California, as of January 2020, PAs gained so much political backing such as not needing a cosignature, any direct supervision, and not having physician's name on a prescription the PA is ordering. This is obviously different for each state but there isnt much to stop all states of adopting the same amendments.

Wow, I didn't know that. Hopefully the dominoes will start falling since California is one of the biggest states.