No Contract or Paperwork for Job Offer?

I am currently in the process of moving to Nebraska, which is an at-will state. I currently have been employed in at a different at-will state for the past three years. I have been offered a job in Nebraska and I would like to take this opportunity, however, there is no offer letter. I just need to say a verbal "yes" and I am hired. They have given me the generic benefits package information, but no job offer letter entailing my work responsibilities, my PTO, my call scheduled, my hours, holidays, etc. Of note, this is a very large medical center. I requested this from the recruiter who gave me the offer and seemed confused as "Nebraska is an at-will state so there are no contracts". I understand the no contract thing, but usually there is a lot more paperwork involved regardless, especially I would expect this in a large medical center. Every place I have worked at in my current at-will state has given me a 5-10 page offer letter entailing the above mentioned. Is this normal for Nebraska or have you experienced something similar where you live? I am hesitant to give a "verbal yes" without this written and signed information and agreement, and I would also be turning down other opportunities that are inquiring about me. 

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, illsewyouup said:

I am currently in the process of moving to Nebraska, which is an at-will state. I currently have been employed in at a different at-will state for the past three years. I have been offered a job in Nebraska and I would like to take this opportunity, however, there is no offer letter. I just need to say a verbal "yes" and I am hired. They have given me the generic benefits package information, but no job offer letter entailing my work responsibilities, my PTO, my call scheduled, my hours, holidays, etc. Of note, this is a very large medical center. I requested this from the recruiter who gave me the offer and seemed confused as "Nebraska is an at-will state so there are no contracts". I understand the no contract thing, but usually there is a lot more paperwork involved regardless, especially I would expect this in a large medical center. Every place I have worked at in my current at-will state has given me a 5-10 page offer letter entailing the above mentioned. Is this normal for Nebraska or have you experienced something similar where you live? I am hesitant to give a "verbal yes" without this written and signed information and agreement, and I would also be turning down other opportunities that are inquiring about me. 

"Your offer sounds great as explained to me verbally; I look forward to seeing it in writing so I can comprehensively evaluate it and provide a formal acceptance if appropriate.  While I realize Nebraska is an at-will state, there is much more to an employment offer than termination conditions, and as such I expect that I'm not the only medical professional who anticipates a documented agreement on working conditions and compensation before turning down other offers."

If they won't do that? Run.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

It seems the recruiter is conflating “at-will” with “what-will” as in, “what will get the employee here the fastest”.  
As ventana noted, at Will has nothing to do with contracts or offer letters.  And don’t let the fact that it’s a big system fool you- it just means they are more practiced at jerking you around, and can hide behind fancy language.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ventana said:

at will has NOTHING to do with contract

you need to get things in writing otherwise this "big system will just dump you on a whim or abuse you because "you were not smart enough to get a contract"......

^^^  This.

Also, you better make sure you get in writing that THEY are paying for your malpractice and tail or you could be left holding the bag so to speak.  Verbal agreements mean nothing today.

• Upvote 1

Thats the kinda monkey games the local hospital that seems to be forever swirling the toilet would pull around here.

There's probably a really good reason they have a job opening. You can always request to speak to current or former employees to get the low down. Of course if they've got tons of junk they're trying to sweep under the rug they'll probably decline. Seems like red flag town to me. Are you desperate for work?

Whats the saying about insanity is doing the same thing multiple times but expecting different results? These forums have lots of horror stories and you don't have to experience them first hand to learn from 'em.

• Upvote 1

I am in an at will state so we don't have employment contracts. What we do have are agreements. In these the terms of employment are spelled out including the expectations of both employer and employed.

That said my employer changes the terms any time they want to with impugnity but at least I have a piece of paper to waive when I am yelling.

About 6 weeks after I was hired they changed the number of shifts per month (UC) we were required to work and sent a new "agreement" for all of us to sign. I told them an agreement suggested some kind of dialogue and discussion and refused to sign it. I told them if they wanted to strike out agreement and write in "terms of employment" I would sign an acknowledgement I had received it.I organized a mini-rebellion in the UC centers. Eventually they agreed there was no requirement to sign it essentially admitting they would change things anytime they wanted to. Amazingly I didn't get fired....yet

• Upvote 1

Completely agree with all that has been posted, but one thing to consider is whether these items are listed in the employee handbook.  While I received a summary of my position from my employer (in my at-will state), the specifics are clearly outlined in the employee handbook.  This could possibly be why the recruiter and employer are balking, but OP definitely tread lightly.