Buprenorphine X waivers + multi-state practice

• Administrator

So, I'm in the process of getting my X waiver for medically assisted therapy with buprenorphine... but apparently, I can only have one waiver, despite having two DEA numbers, so I have to pick whether I want it attached to my Alaska or Washington DEA license.

Anyone else run into this before? Am I being given correct information, and, if so, how do we fix it?

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2020 at 11:34 AM, rev ronin said:

So, I'm in the process of getting my X waiver for medically assisted therapy with buprenorphine... but apparently, I can only have one waiver, despite having two DEA numbers, so I have to pick whether I want it attached to my Alaska or Washington DEA license.

Anyone else run into this before? Am I being given correct information, and, if so, how do we fix it?

What did you find out about this?

• Administrator
Just now, Nucs2PA said:

What did you find out about this?

You only get one, pick whichever, it's good in any state.  So in WA my DEAs might look like:

AB12345
XB12345

But in AK they might be:

CD34567
XB12345

That is, the waiver from the one state WON'T pair with the local DEA number by the "change the first digit to X" rule, but it will still be valid.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, ventana said:

can you change which state to be x-waivered?

Probably.  They told me "pick one" and didn't seem to care which state's DEA it was attached to, so I don't know the process to change the selection, but I expect their helpdesk will.  They were reasonably responsive to my original question, when I explained it thoroughly enough.

I am in the same situation.  I live at the corner of three states and practice in all three states, including prescribing bup in all three states.  My x-waiver is on the license for the first state where I got my DEA number.  When I started working for my second employer, I had to submit copies of my DEA license that has the x-waiver and my DEA license for the state in which I would be practicing.  It has worked out fine for me thus far.  It seems to be common with other addiction medicine providers that I have talked to in the area where I live, since it is common to divide time between multiple locations that might be in different states.

• Upvote 1