Low GPA Success Stories

Hi everyone! The new application cycle is staring soon and I would love to hear or see threads of some low GPA success stories! I have a cGPA 3.38 and sGPA 3.09. I know it is not as strong as it could be but I am working to improve it. Please share your stats and what you did to improve your application/increase your chance of acceptance. (GPA 3.0-3.4)

Edited by Ashley2020

I was accepted this cycle as a third time applicant with a GPA on the lower side. Stats:

cGPA: 3.41

sGPA: 3.29

1 year of science post-bacc classes: 3.72

HCE : 1,584 hrs

PCE: 10,978 hrs as a resident aide, CNA, PCA, and ER tech

Shadowing: about 100 hrs

Volunteer: about 50 hrs.

Some tips: Make every other aspect of your app as strong as you can. Put effort into getting strong recommendations, at least one from an academic source that can really speak to your ability to handle rigorous science courses (for me, that didn't come until post-bacc but my Prof wrote me what she described as a glowing letter and I know it made a huge difference). Get patient care exp. In a variety of settings and with as much responsibility as possible. Also, calculate and pay attention to your BCP GPA. I hadn't heard of it until I applied the first time, but it is calculated by CASPA and exclusively involves your biology, chem, and physics courses. It is almost a sure rejection if your BCP isn't at least 3.0. I hope you find this helpful, and best of luck with improving your stats and applications!

• Like 1