Hello, 

I have been working in family med the past few months as a PA and am looking for opinions from switching from family med to hospitalists? what are opinions on switching jobs? Stress load of hospitalist position vs family med? 

thanks !! 

Edited by AC2662
Wrong title

Well, as hospitalists we deal with the dramatic fall-out from patients who don't listen to their outpatient family medicine providers, so this would likely not be an improvement for you. Tired of arguing about A1C? Now the patient's in with HHS and you still get to argue about that full sugar soda and fries. You still get to argue about insulin.

If you're straight hospitalist you probably won't deal with many children, so that might be a step up for you. I also spend much more than 15 minutes with my patients. Sometimes hours.

Antibiotic arguments happen everywhere. In the hospital, we often get patients who've been started on something empirically in the ED and we have to take it away. What's worse than refusing to give antibiotics? Trying to take them away once "that other doctor said I had an infection!"

I LOVE my job. You should just know that the things you hate about outpatient family medicine are still big problems in hospitalized populations.

Have you considered a specialty?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Naonu1
      Hello everyone,
      I am new to this site and I would really appreciate if I can receive advice. I have an undergraduate GPA of 3.045 right now this is prior to my spring semester grades being placed in and I project my GPA to raise but I guess not much since I will mostly have A's and B's. I am also graduating in December so I have one more semester. What makes me nervous is that Yale requires prereq's that I don't have yet (Micro, A&P I AND II, and Biochem) but I have the statistics portion. Luckily, Yale doesn't require any labs for the prereq's. Yale's minimum GPA req is a 2.8 however, CASPA hasn't calculated my GPA yet and based on what I've heard a CASPA gpa is way lower than your transcript gpa and I want to be competitive. 
      Not to mention that I am a psychology major which is already not the usual biology/chem. My major (science undergraduate) is a 3.5. 
      My plans were this summer to take these classes at a community college while completing classes towards finishing my degree at my usual university. The reason for this is due to COVID-19 and my school deciding to continue remote learning via ZOOM. My university doesn't have the best science professors from what I heard and what I seen (taking chem which I got an A in). I figured community college whose curriculum is already set up as online would be much easier for me to pick u in and CHEAPER of course. I say all of this to ask if it makes since to put myself through all of this in the summer if I may not get an interview based on the fact that my regular GPA is 3.0 and even if I take all of these classes and receieve a 4.0 I doubt my CASPA gpa will be raised by that much.
      My PCE (Paid) is 2000. 
    • By HMPA19
      Hi- I currently work as a Hospitalist PA at an academic medical center. Wondering what schedule other PAs have for Hospital Medicine PAs. The two most common schedules that I have discovered include:
      1) 7 on, 7 off
      2) 12 or 13 12 hour shifts/month
      Any other models? What are your PTO benefits? Thanks!
    • By UCFPA
      Hello I’m a PA with 11 years experience who has worked in hospitalists medicine for over 9, various places.  I’ve been at the same low salary for the past 5 years. 105k 7 on 7 off capped at 8 admissions per day 3-11, no PTO no sick days (have to be made up). I had a talk with them and as a result Ive been offered 125k with quarterly bonuses with an increase in patients. 2500 cme with licenses and fees to come out of the 2500

Pros: Fully Autonomous, flexible on start time, good rapport with boss. Typically done with my cap in 7hrs per day. Essentially working 56 hrs every two weeks, making the hourly rate pretty good. Possibly able to still complete a shift in 9hrs with new cap proposal. 

Cons: Poor communication in the office. Sometimes travel between two facilities  

I reached out to another hospital system in town and the local competition is willing to pay 128k base with 10k bonus divided quarterly. 2500 cme and pay for licensing and fees.  Shift will be ten hrs. 2-midnight. No cap on admissions however told typically 6-7 admissions per night  
      Pros. No travel required, 
      Cons: no access to doc lounge (wth!), likely present every patient to supervising doc, don’t eat free with exception of “doc area” buffet that closes at the start of my shift. Longer shifts.
      My question is are these competitive numbers for the year we are in and also which seems to be the better option?
    • By CAZephyr
      I wanted to share a conference that I'm helping plan in January 2020: Pediatric Sports Medicine Conference: Managing Pain in Your Young Athletes After Injuries. I attended last year and really enjoyed the content. It sold out last year, so if you're interested in attending, be sure to register before the end of Dec.
      UCSF Benioff Sports Medicine faculty will present evidence-based management of acute and chronic pain, including the roles of ice, splints and braces, pain medication, cognitive behavioral therapy and physical therapy.

By the end of this conference, participants will be able to:
      Recognize the early signs and symptoms of pain amplification syndrome and chronic regional pain syndrome that could occur after injury
        Apply appropriate pain management strategies for young athletes, including ice and other modalities, pain medication, cognitive behavioral therapy, and physical therapy
        Discuss the red ‑ flags of pediatric musculoskeletal injuries, including when to get X-rays and when to refer
        Describe the proper prescription and ­ fitting of upper- and lower extremity splints, including their duration of use depending on injury diagnosis
        Explain the steps needed for proper evaluation and management of concussions to avoid persistent post-concussion symptoms, including chronic headache pain
        Identify rheumatological causes of joint and back pain in pediatric patients Here is the link for more information or to register: https://ucsfbch.regfox.com/2020-pediatric-sports-medicine-conference 

• By PAtobe2023
      Hello Everyone!
      I'm 41 years old and venturing into a career change in medicine. I love science and taking care of people has been my calling for a while. Right now I'm in human resources but I've always been drawn to medicine and clinical side of it. After a lot of thinking and talking to people in the field, I've decided to start my pursuit. 
      I have a master's degree with no science background. I have no healthcare/patient care experience. 
      What would be your recommendation of where to start? I've signed up to take some prerequisites soon but trying to juggle current work and family and the career change is making me a bit anxious. 
      Anyone in my situation? Would love some advice and direction.
      Thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More