Hello, 

I have been working in family med the past few months as a PA and am looking for opinions from switching from family med to hospitalists? what are opinions on switching jobs? Stress load of hospitalist position vs family med? 

thanks !! 

Edited by AC2662
Wrong title
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, as hospitalists we deal with the dramatic fall-out from patients who don't listen to their outpatient family medicine providers, so this would likely not be an improvement for you. Tired of arguing about A1C? Now the patient's in with HHS and you still get to argue about that full sugar soda and fries. You still get to argue about insulin.

If you're straight hospitalist you probably won't deal with many children, so that might be a step up for you. I also spend much more than 15 minutes with my patients. Sometimes hours.

Antibiotic arguments happen everywhere. In the hospital, we often get patients who've been started on something empirically in the ED and we have to take it away. What's worse than refusing to give antibiotics? Trying to take them away once "that other doctor said I had an infection!"

I LOVE my job. You should just know that the things you hate about outpatient family medicine are still big problems in hospitalized populations.

Have you considered a specialty?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By soccerfanatic14
      Hello,
      I'm a new grad PA (started the program right out of high school) who just received a job offer for a hospitalist position with the details here:
      40 hour week. Five 8 hr shifts a week. Overnight from Sun- Thurs 11pm-7am.   $85,000 base pay $15,000 for overnight annual bonus. Would be taken away if I switched to days.   4 weeks PTO 1 sick week 1 week CME and $1500 Paid DEA liscense.  

I'm curious if I should ask for more base pay.  Any opinions?  Thanks! 
    • By hlmort11
      Hi All,
      I was wondering if there are any places taking students for rotations starting in Jan 2021? 
      I would love a rotation in San Diego sometime between January and April as my husband is mobilized there with the NH Army National Guard.
      Other areas of geographical interest are the Midwest, New England, Alaska and Hawaii for Jan 2021-Dec 2021. Specifically rotations located in the following places:
      Western SD, Cheyenne, WY, Casper, WY, Western Nebraska, Denver, CO area inc. the foothills, Sioux City, IA, Topeka, KS, Indianapolis, IN, Palmer, AK, Hawaii, Minnesota, NH, VT, ME, and/or MA
      Thank you in advance!!
    • By LC8150
      My internal medicine EOR is coming up. I have smarty pance and rosh review (but not the boost exam). I've been studying a lot using smarty pance. Are those practice questions about on par with the PAEA EOR difficulty? I was using rosh review but a lot of those questions seemed super high level compared to what I remember from the PACKRAT so I wasn't sure which ones were better to study with or most similar to the EOR
    • By Bears24
      EM PA here, our group is looking to moving towards single doc/PA coverage overnight, whereas we previously ended shifts around 1am. For all those who work shift work/overnights, wondering if you receive an overnight differential pay bump. If so, what is it? If you're more comfortable contacting me directly would be GREAT help. Attempting to get some data together to show higher ups its common for overnight diff in EM world. Also please include what state you work in and what specialty.

Thank you in advance!!!!
    • By djcturno
      I have been a practicing PA for 4 years working in adult acute care medicine (ER, ICU, transplant cardiology). I was recently approached by a recruiter for PA position in pediatric cardiac surgery, which would involve OR and ICU clinical work. Even prior to PA school, I had an affinity for pediatrics and loved my pedi rotation. I had always imagined going into pedi cardiac crit care. My professional life took me towards adult care, and unfortunately has not permitted much in the way of pedi exposure. Has anyone made the jump from adult acute care to pediatric acute care? From chiefly medicine position to surgery? Can you tell me about your experience and any additional insights? It's a helluva jump, I am not naive, but just wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with this. Thanks! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More