How likely to find job as PA working 90hrs week? which speciality?

Hello all,

New to the forum; Pre-Pa student. I have the grades (currently) to make it into a M.D./D.O. program but would prefer to go the PA route for various reasons. Contemplating.

Question: As a PA, are there opportunities out there to work hourly 90hrs a week or close to it? I know, I know, this is madness, but it's what I am used to and what I would like to do. Single, no kids; don't judge me.

If there are opportunities to work this amount of hours, what specialty would be best? What could a PA expect for a yearly gross income working these types of hours?

Bonus Question: How involved in medical research can a PA be? Are they not looked at as credible as a real M.D.?

29 minutes ago, kayala224 said:

Hello all,

New to the forum; Pre-Pa student. I have the grades (currently) to make it into a M.D./D.O. program but would prefer to go the PA route for various reasons. Contemplating.

Question: As a PA, are there opportunities out there to work hourly 90hrs a week or close to it? I know, I know, this is madness, but it's what I am used to and what I would like to do. Single, no kids; don't judge me.

If there are opportunities to work this amount of hours, what specialty would be best? What could a PA expect for a yearly gross income working these types of hours?

Bonus Question: How involved in medical research can a PA be? Are they not looked at as credible as a real M.D.?

I’m not sure why someone would intentionally want to work 90hours in a week? You'll not only hurt yourself but the high possibility of hurting your patients since you’ll be extremely sleep deprived and exhausted. Im not sure if there are any other states that limit providers in over working, I know the residents are striking over 80 hour work weeks and are limited on a 36-straight-hour shift. 

Just for an example: 

there are 168 hours in a week 

you want to work 90 hours 

you have ~8 hours of sleep for 7 days (56hours) 

that only gives you 22 hours for yourself to enjoy life and your income. It’s a recipe for burnout.  

However there are a lot of PAs that work multiple jobs so it’s possible if you actually wanted to work that much. I personally wouldn’t recommend it, there’s a reason why medical and PA schools are being revamped to start including wellness courses into the schools and why provider burnout is a real thing that crushes the souls of many individuals like you that are dedicated and have good intentions. Medicine unfortunately has a very dark side and there is constant moral injury in this field not just by patients but internally. You are a cash cow for these hospital admins whether you are a MD or PA. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 5:39 PM, kayala224 said:

Hello all,

Are you used to working 90 hours as a PA?

Edited by ANESMCR