Getting pregnant before PA school

Hi everyone!

I am about to graduate college in May and start applying for PA school in the summer. However, I just recently found out that I am pregnant. I am 22 years old and very scared, although I have great support from my boyfriend about having the baby and continuing my education. He is a paramedic firefighter and we've been together for almost 6 years. I've read other forums of people going through PA school with kids, but most seemed like older people who had time off before going in or being in another profession prior. I literally spent my 4 years at uni preparing myself the best I can to become a PA in the future! I'm unsure about what to do. I am taking a year off regardless (that was always in the plans) but I'm not sure how/if I can do it with a less than 1-year old baby before starting. Any help/advice/recommendations are appreciated! please and thank you 🙂

Edited by LCMPA
forgot important information

On 2/1/2020 at 4:15 PM, LCMPA said:

Hi everyone!

I am about to graduate college in May and start applying for PA school in the summer. However, I just recently found out that I am pregnant. I am 22 years old and very scared, although I have great support from my boyfriend about having the baby and continuing my education. He is a paramedic firefighter and we've been together for almost 6 years. I've read other forums of people going through PA school with kids, but most seemed like older people who had time off before going in or being in another profession prior. I literally spent my 4 years at uni preparing myself the best I can to become a PA in the future! I'm unsure about what to do. I am taking a year off regardless (that was always in the plans) but I'm not sure how/if I can do it with a less than 1-year old baby before starting. Any help/advice/recommendations are appreciated! please and thank you 🙂

The PA Platform has a podcast with a mother that was in your situation. While this cycle is going to be my first time applying, my "plans" were definitely thrown for a loop when I got pregnant with my son over a year ago. I didn't know how I was going to get anything done that would help me get to PA school. It sounds like you have a support system, which is so important. You can absolutely still achieve your goals, even if they seem a bit scary right now. Don't let having a baby stop you from doing what you want to do, because you can absolutely do both. So many parents have done it, don't give up! 

My son is almost a year and a half, and it is challenging, but I know the short term sacrifice is going to reap long term benefits. You're going to be a great mother and a great PA.