Thinking of PA School, Would I Even Be Accepted?

I know people probably see a post like this too many times.... however, it’s tough to find posts from someone who’s an RN making the transition... 

I got my BSN in Nursing in 2019 and am currently a RN, I’ve also been a “Tech” for 4 years. I finished my overall GPA at 3.30. I did take organic/bio chem got an A in it as well as A&P1-2, Microbiology all As (If those even matter) 

I do enjoy nursing, but I want to do more I really enjoyed the medical side, especially when I was in A&P. Despite my low GPA do I have somewhat of a chance of getting accepted if I applied to a PA program say next year? would those classes be cutoff? As they’d be at 5 years ? Does speaking 3 languages help? I’m in the western Massachusetts region the local schools here are Bay Path University, Springfield College, University of Saint Joseph 

6 hours ago, UGoLong said:

Would like to hear how you decided to become a PA when you sound like you could become an NP in 12 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn’t decide to become a PA it’s an option. I do not want to be a bedside RN for years. I’ve looked at NP yes. However, the “Medical Model” seems more attractive to me. Don’t get me wrong I’m all about holistic care. Itjust feels I gravitate more towards a medical model is all

I didn’t decide to become a PA it’s an option. I do not want to be a bedside RN for years. I’ve looked at NP yes. However, the “Medical Model” seems more attractive to me. Don’t get me wrong I’m all about holistic care. Itjust feels I gravitate more towards a medical model is all

OK, fair enough!

What was your science GPA?

BTW, We have an RN with 14 years of experience starting in our next cohort.

59 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

Not too bad and I gather that spme of these were a while ago. Why not take a tough science class now and show that you can do it? Patho by itself or maybe molecular biology.

They’re within the last 4 years. Definitely, I was thinking of taking physics as well. want to keep costs down a little for now so I’m looking at some local community colleges. 

I also took a public speaking course is that adds any value 

• 3 months later...

Now, this is an older thread, but I am just throwing this out there. The class you took was General, Organic, and Biological chemistry. If it is a combined class, then most schools will not accept it. Those are generally for the allied health professions and not "chemistry or bio majors." So this is why RNs (like myself) had to go back to two years to complete the proper prerequisites. Keep that in mind. Maybe your situation is different, just had to state the information.

Edited by TylerV