Have PAs even tried to get full practice authority in any state?

Even worse, a few years back PA leaders actually  turned down FPA for PA’s in the VAMC  It was to be for both PA and NP. So now in the Veterans Affairs NP have FPA and PA’s actually turned it down. I do know there was an issue of the person responsible had conflicting interests, but it is my understanding that there has been no attempt to correct the problem. I think something similar or at least close happened in an eastern state(pretty sure VA). I wonder if a lot of PA’s don’t support state level because of the lack of vision. However, looks like Florida has a bill for something like FPA and Oregon has something in the works for “Qualified “ PA’s with 10,000 hrs experience. All the legal wording is difficult to dig through, so not sure of exact results if they pass. 

Because CAPA feels that OTP is enough.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Actually they didn't feel that way. At least from what they told me. The original full OTP bill got killed so they had to modify it to what we got which is (as of now) parity with NPs in California. They (CAPA reps) expressed to me in several personal conversations last year at the CAPA conference that they want to show parity first to establish a precedent and if/when NPs go for independence, they would pursue full practice authority.

It's gonna be tough because CAPA has very limited support from California PAs. But I will say, they have done, in my opinion, a remarkable job considering what they were facing. They got the door shut in their face then turned around and got us SB697 passed. Not saying it's a slam dunk but I think had we not gotten SB697 passed the door would have been shut in our face if we ask for full authority.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Actually they didn't feel that way. At least from what they told me. The original full OTP bill got killed so they had to modify it to what we got which is (as of now) parity with NPs in California. They (CAPA reps) expressed to me in several personal conversations last year at the CAPA conference that they want to show parity first to establish a precedent and if/when NPs go for independence, they would pursue full practice authority.  
It's gonna be tough because CAPA has very limited support from California PAs. But I will say, they have done, in my opinion, a remarkable job considering what they were facing. They got the door shut in their face then turned around and got us SB697 passed. Not saying it's a slam dunk but I think had we not gotten SB697 passed the door would have been shut in our face if we ask for full authority.

If the NPs get FPA then how long will it be before they (CAPA) shoot for FPA?

If the NPs get FPA then how long will it be before they (CAPA) shoot for FPA?

That's a good question. I'd assume though that first it has to pass. We've been here before. NPs have a bill in the state senate every year and has been killed off at the senate so its not a far gone conclusion it will pass. Though if I were a betting man I would bet the NPs make headway this year.

The only way PA's will ever get it is:

1.  They make a massive lobby push to divorce themselves finally from our dependent relationship with doctors.  Not going to happen.

2. We change our name to something with some dignity that accurately reflects what we do.  i.e. has Practitioner in it.  Not going to happen.

3.  Every PA joins AAPA and AAPA creates a Marshall like plan to attack this state by state all in concert with one massive voice.  Not going to happen.

Edited by Cideous
  • Upvote 3

Back to  original question.......

yes I believe that in one of the Dakota's they went for it soon after it came out and got most of it...

MASS is thinking about it this year.... but with the strong physician presence it will be an uphill battle BUT WORTH FIGHTING!!
North Dakota got full OTP

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

Michigan's new laws are pretty darn close. PAs there are not supervised. They have an agreement with a "Participating physician" who specifically is not liable for the actions of the PA.

Correct. We are also independent prescribers and do not require a co-signature on any medication whether it's a scheduled medication or not.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

they probably should go for controlled substance prescribing first....FL is not a particularly friendly PA state. Probably not a good test case. 

I agree that Florida is not particularly pa friendly, but pa's there have been able to prescribe controlled substances for a few years now:

Requirements of Florida Statutes Pertaining to Controlled Substances Prescribing

Wednesday, November 2, 2016   (32 Comments
Posted by: Tina Kautter

Requirements of Florida Statute Pertaining to CS Prescribing

· As with all practice activities, the physician assistant must be delegated the authority to prescribe controlled substances by their supervising physician.

·  Physician assistants who are delegated the authority to prescribe will not see an increase in their overall hours of continuing education required, but they must take 3-of-the-10 hours on safe and effective controlled substance prescribing at every renewal cycle. (Notice: if you have a prescribing license, regardless of whether or not you intend to get a DEA license, you are REQUIRED, at each license renewal, to take the referenced prescribing course per statute).

·  Per the legislation, PAs and ARNPs are prohibited from prescribing controlled substances in registered pain-management clinics. Physician assistants and ARNPs are, however, authorized to prescribe controlled substances for the treatment of chronic nonmalignant pain as long as they are not on the premises of a registered pain management clinic. 

·  Physician assistants must limit the prescription of Schedule II controlled substances to a 7-day supply. Schedules III-V have no restrictions on supply. 

· Physician assistants and ARNPs may not prescribe psychiatric mental health controlled substances for children younger than 18 years of age. Psychiatric nurses who are also ARNPs may prescribe psychiatric mental health controlled substances for children younger than 18 years of age, including schedule IIs.

·  The implementation date for the controlled substance prescribing for PAs and ARNPs is January 1, 2017.

·  FAPA and the Board of Medicine advise all PAs that the law did not intend to create a loophole to allow PAs to prescribe 7-days-worth of a schedule II repetitively, nor should a PA write multiple 7-day prescriptions for the same ailment at the office visit. Partaking in these actions will put the PA at risk for disciplinary action by the Board of Medicine.

For questions about the Controlled Substances Prescribing course and certificates, please contact fapa@fapaonline.org

Thanks for the update. So this: · " Physician assistants and ARNPs may not prescribe psychiatric mental health controlled substances for children younger than 18 years of age. Psychiatric nurses who are also ARNPs may prescribe psychiatric mental health controlled substances for children younger than 18 years of age, including schedule IIs " means psych NPs can write adhd meds for kids, but not psych PAs...

2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

they probably should go for controlled substance prescribing first....FL is not a particularly friendly PA state. Probably not a good test case. 

I agree, not PA friendly there, but it’s got a decent chance as it ever will there. The bill is for PAs and NPs, Rep. Pigman is a Republican EM physician pushing the bill, and we have the momentum of OTP in a few states now, POTUS Trump pushing the national reimbursement parity, another gov’t organization recently came out in favor of reduced restrictions, CMS deferring to state law. I could be wrong, but I feel we should ride this momentum.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2