Hello!

I hope everyone is enjoying their break before orientation and classes begin! Very excited for what this journey has to offer and to meet every one. I wanted to open this thread to any one else who is starting now, part of class 2015 or to anyone who is a current student at the Sophie Davis School of Biomed Education PA program. Any tips or advice for preparation before class ( whether it be study methods, books, materials need to be bought, etc) or loans advice that can be offered will be so appreciated!

I am personally trying to figure out the cost of attendance and the financial part of it all as I need to apply for financial aid and loans. Any one know how to go about this? Any advise on specific loans that are best to apply for? I also am going to be commuting from New Jersey, so trying to figure out which way of commuting will be best. If any one has any insight on this it be great!

Again hope this thread takes way so we can all help each other or any one who needs advice on this or any aspect for preparing for the start of the program! :smile:

Have a great day!

Hey Missy! Im also in the process of figuring out finances. I did my fafsfa online and plan on going up to the school sometime soon to speak with the aid office directly. I will pass along anything they tell me. Whats your name, I dont want to keep calling you Missy ;) Im Dean.

Hi Dean! I'm Melissa, I remember you from interview lol. Happy to know you made it through. Also I was thinking of going there as well to see some one in person. I spoke to some one in the financial aid office but they only told me to apply for fafsa no other info on loans. Let me know if you get any luck! I know we should be getting more information about orientation towards the end of this month! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!! Does anyone know what the daily schedule will be for the six week orientation? I'm currently working full-time and am wondering if I'll need to simply cut back on my hours or quit all together. Any information you can share is greatly appreciated :o Can't wait to meet you all!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!! Does anyone know what the daily schedule will be for the six week orientation? I'm currently working full-time and am wondering if I'll need to simply cut back on my hours or quit all together. Any information you can share is greatly appreciated :o Can't wait to meet you all!

I called the school and they said information on when and where orientation takes place is in the first letter we received. As for details on a daily schedule the receptionist said that we get that the day of orientation. We are suppose to get some flyer in the mail soon, but that's just going to indicate how many guests can come to the dinner the day of orientation. Thats about all the info she gave me lol, so I hope this helps ! See you guys soon :)

I called the school and they said information on when and where orientation takes place is in the first letter we received. As for details on a daily schedule the receptionist said that we get that the day of orientation. We are suppose to get some flyer in the mail soon, but that's just going to indicate how many guests can come to the dinner the day of orientation. Thats about all the info she gave me lol, so I hope this helps ! See you guys soon :)

Hi Palewis13,

I have a question regarding the loans offered by the schools, are they hard to get approved for? Also do you know what orientation entails (how long it is, etc). ? We haven't gotten any info on that other than that dinner is on July 9th for us and our guests. I appreciate so much you offering any insight ;)

Hi everyone! My name is Ashley, and I cant wait to meet you all July 9th. Congratulations! I opened a face book page called City College Sophie David Physician Assisant Class of 2015. Also, please find me, Ashley Davis (Zwerin) . I know financial aide stated to me that second degree bachelor students are very limited in the financial aid they can get because there is a maximum. We can only get federal or private loans. I have to find out more about this. As far as orientation, I heard its intense right away, so employment should probably end july 9th, unless your job will understand the sudden discontinuation of your availability.

Hey Palewis13,

I'm also wondering if you can shed some light on what exactly orientation entails. Do classes start right after the dinner? And are we on a full-time (everyday of the week) type of schedule for the entire six weeks of orientation? Plus, is there anything you wish you knew at this stage of the game before starting your PA education at Sophie? Thanks in advance for sharing!

No problem! I was like borderline desperate to meet the class before orientation. You guys please text or email me so we can talk! Ashleydavis1229@gmail.com or text 631-942-4853. Id love to know everyones academic and clinical background, and where you'll all be living while in the program. Also , is anyone else married or have kids? I am 22, but got started young! I got married last year and 6 months later gve both to my son who is now 12.5 months old! I'm so nervous about doing the program with him but this is my dream. I have Extensve medical assistant experience so Im a phlebotomy expert if there is suha. Thing lol. I worked in pediatrics, internal and cardiology. I have my bachelors from stony brook in bio and women studies.

Congratz to everyone again! Will any of you be living in the CCNY Towers?

Hey ghm2gh, I don't plan on living in the Towers, but am looking for an apartment closer to campus. If anyone else is also apartment hunting we can definitely pool our resources and share links. Also, if anyone knows of any reputable buildings in the area, do share! Thanks :-)

There was an email sent out about apartments for pa students for rent by Blanca rodriguez, if you didnt get it , email me, ashleydavis1229@gmail.com.

Also, I know a pa student who just graduated from Sophie davis last year and he has all the text books on a flash drive. If you want to copy, let me know, and bring a 8 gig USB drive , and well figure something out an orientation. (free books are better then no books lol ) he's no charging me so I won't charge anyone!

Also, does anyone else have a physical scheduled for Friday at 8am . Let me know! I'd love to go together but I'm such a chatterbox, I'll find out everyone I'm sure lol.

No problem! I was like borderline desperate to meet the class before orientation. You guys please text or email me so we can talk! Ashleydavis1229@gmail.com or text 631-942-4853. Id love to know everyones academic and clinical background, and where you'll all be living while in the program. Also , is anyone else married or have kids? I am 22, but got started young! I got married last year and 6 months later gve both to my son who is now 12.5 months old! I'm so nervous about doing the program with him but this is my dream. I have Extensve medical assistant experience so Im a phlebotomy expert if there is suha. Thing lol. I worked in pediatrics, internal and cardiology. I have my bachelors from stony brook in bio and women studies.

Hey Ashley!! Congrats!! Cant wait to meet you. I am in a similiar situation as you I am 27 also got married young I have a 3 year old and my wife and I are expecting our second son around the same time we start our semester :0) lol It will be difficult but like you this is my dream so Im going to make it happen. My experience is different from most I worked in the veterinary field from age 13 until about 25 I spent time working on cancer research in animals using electronic brachytherapy to treat cancer in dogs, cats etc...while doing that I began working at St Francis Heart Center as a PCA on a telemetry floor. I got my degree in Bio at Molloy College. Now I work full time as a mailman ( I know where did that come from lol) Im going to find you on fb ttys

Archived