Tcmc

Folks, I just finished up the Army's Tactical Combat Medical Care course. I can say that this is the course for shoring up trauma skills for both point of injury and Role I/II trauma management. It's a lot of seasoned PAs teaching this course and it trains you on and makes you perform advanced hemorrhage control, airway management, tension pneumo mgt, and hypothermia management in great detail, with large amounts of hands on. It goes into great detail to meet the shortcomings of most PA programs such as RSI and field blood transfusions among other things. There were Docs and PAs in the room though Brigade Nurses, NP's, and sister service PAs are all welcome to attend. It's a must for anyone who wants to do point of injury care or Role I/II management of trauma. It's a legal must for all deploying PA's in the Army. Irreplaceable.

• 1 month later...

Not much. I got my Airborne Infantry gig I wanted. I just finished up a FTX up in the Yukon area outside of Fairbanks. It was so cold up there I had to sleep with my aftershave lotion in my sleeping bag or it would freeze up. It was a 10 day squad/platoon level training deal. I ran the med platoon through some trauma scenarios and of course the usual bumps, scrapes, bruises, and DT's. We were supposed to jump in but in typical fashion the C-17 we were flying up on was broke so we had to pull a U-ie and wait.... I was in the harness with a 100lbs ruck hanging off my chest for 7 hours before someone decided that we couldn't jump and would have to land at Eileson AFB. I'm glad I dehydrated myself good before jumping so I didn't piss myself. I'll be hanging out doing my usual 0600-1800x5 day weeks until early spring. Then going to Thailand for some training and then we're in the whole pre-deployment (field, field, JRTC, leave) pipeline for sometime late next year (no one gripe OPSEC. the Army Times just published a BCT deployment timeline for the next 2 years so it ain't super-secret G-14 classified). I may do some locum tenens stuff up here so I can make some bank. Alaska is awesome if you don't mind the cold. If you are ever up for fishing some red salmon early next summer, let me know. Enjoy TCMC. You'll feel real smart coming out of there. Take notes on their little tips and tricks. You'll be glad you did when you read back over that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Nate- sounds like a good time! I tried to talk my wife into taking an AGR job at Ft. Greely supporting an ADA BN for 2 years, but she was having none of it. I ended up taking an ortho position back in IL- going well and learning a ton. An old friend of mine and I are planning on doing an Alaska trip by 2015, so I'll see you up there at some point. Take care man.

jwells- TCMC is required within 6 months of deployment, and since the Guard is cheap/always broke they only send us when we're in the deployment window. FWIW, get your CME requests in early too- I tried to get reimbursed for an August course, and was told the CME $ was tapped by June.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived