PA school pre-requisites

Hi everyone! I’m new to this forum and I had some questions about PA school pre-refs. I’m a senior pre-med student and I’ll be graduating at the end of this year and I plan to submit by application to PA school in the summer. I have already taken all the pre-req classes for the PA school that I want to attend but I was wondering how important other classes were. Are virology, fundamentals of epidemiology, intro to pharmacology, intro to radiography, intro the human disease other important courses to take. I’ve taken gen chem 1 and 2, organic chem 1 and 2, cell biology, genetics, comparative anatomy of the vertebrates, general physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, medical terminology, evolution, physics 1 and 2, statistics, critical thinking/philosophy, intro to medical lab science to name the important ones. I’m currently taking first aid for the profession responder, immunology, and histology and I’m planning on taking ecology, biology seminar, and parasitology during my last semester. This summer I plan on working and scribing full time at a local hospital and studying and taking the GRE. Any advice will be appreciated, thank you!

As long as you have the minimum, any other classes you take after won’t hurt, unless you do bad in them. Take all the upper division classes your want, just get good grades. Classes and GPA are only one aspect of the selection process. You also want to make sure you have more than enough HCE, bomber LORs, and a outstanding personal statement. If and when you get an interview, you’ll need to practice interview type questions with friends and family. Good job on finishing undergrad. Best of luck to you during your PA journey 

22 hours ago, BLM8867 said:

As long as you have the minimum, any other classes you take after won’t hurt, unless you do bad in them. Take all the upper division classes your want, just get good grades. Classes and GPA are only one aspect of the selection process. You also want to make sure you have more than enough HCE, bomber LORs, and a outstanding personal statement. If and when you get an interview, you’ll need to practice interview type questions with friends and family. Good job on finishing undergrad. Best of luck to you during your PA journey 

Thank you! My overall GPA currently is a 3.54 (It would be like a 3.7 if I didn’t mess up my freshman year) but my science GPA is like a 3.8 and I need to have a minimum overall and science GPA of 3.0; I’ve had some HCE but I plan on getting a whole lot more this summer since I’m not taking a summer class I have to have a minimum of 80 hours of HCE. My dad is friends with a senator of the state I’m from and a lot of my teachers and doctors love me so I’m sure I can get LORs from them. Thank you for the advice!