Reasonable salary?

Hi All!

I recently interviewed for a full time hospitalist position at a major Boston-area hospital. I have been told I would be receiving a formal offer from HR this week and am wondering what I should expect as "reasonable" pay/what I should negotiate for. Some info about the position: 

-36 hours, (3- 12 hour shifts, including every other weekend for the first year)

-pension plan and 401K matching 2% after first year

-29 days PTO (inclusive of all holiday, vacation, sick time)

-$1000 CME first year to increase to $2000 thereafter (inclusive of all licensing fees)

-3 month credentialing process then 8-12 weeks of orientation of with a senior PA/NP (35 PA and NPs on staff currently)

-patient load is 6 patients per shift with no more than 1 admission, working 1:1 with attending physician

I'm excited about this position as I feel like it will be great experience in a major teaching hospital. I'm a relatively "new grad", I have 1 year of experience now working in outpatient cardiology with my own panel of patients and I make $95k for 40 hours ($45/hour) which was great as a first job but now seems to be extremely low. I did not negotiate at all when accepting this position as I was just so excited to finally have an offer after graduation. I am hoping to advocate for myself more this time around, I'm just not sure what the "going rate" is for inpatient medicine. I'm also pursuing an urgent care position which starts PA's at $63/hour, not sure if these specialties are similar-paying or if I should be happy with an offer in the $50-55/hour range.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks!

Haley

You may get a lot of comments on this site from people advising "$50-55/hr, even 60-65/hr, is crap pay" and while I dont disagree that we should be compensated better for our work, the reality is that in certain markets that 50-55/hr rate is a decent wage. Especially considering the other details of that Inpatient offer. It sounds like a GREAT environment, with ample time off, the opportunity for mentoring, and only working 3 shifts per week. I'd accept that in a heartbeart. You could always pick up Urgent care as a PRN gig and work a 4th day of the week for extra cash but I bet you'll be looking at a longer and happier career in inpatient medicine if thats where your interest lies. Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

A 6 patient load with 1 admit? Sounds pretty sweet. Any ICU coverage or is this strictly ward stuff? 

In the PNW they're starting new grads off around $108k - $115k depending on shift, for the more typical 7o/7off rotation.

I've got no idea what the going rate is for your neck of the woods, but if you think inpatient could be your gig this sounds like a good one!

On 1/28/2020 at 2:09 PM, Monte said:

As a reference for yourself, I'm two years out of PA school making $72/hr in urgent care 45 mins out of Boston and I feel like I could definitely make more so don't sell yourself short!

You work around the Boston area, that is why you make $72/hr....the OPs salary and job is not bad. I would take it!

On 1/30/2020 at 11:08 PM, camoman1234 said:

You work around the Boston area, that is why you make $72/hr....the OPs salary and job is not bad. I would take it!

OP Literally mentioned pay for a major Boston-area hospital.. which pay better than outside the city. I work 45 away from Boston and should be making less or comparable pending the field.

Edited by Monte

just wanted to give an update here! After much debate their final offer was $50/hour and they are willing to make me a 40 hour position instead of 36. Still seems low to me especially when I have an urgent care interview next week that starts at $63/hour, but they want an answer within 48 hours so I'm leaning towards accepting. 

I definitely don't want to miss out on this opportunity over an hourly wage since the other benefits seem well worth it but my question is, should I still go to the urgent care interview???

Yes, because you won't learn about what the UC job market is like unless you go to the interview.  Be honest with them and let them know you are considering multiple offers.  Only you can decide which job is best for you.  You are in a very high cost of living area.  The approximate $25K/year you'd make at the UC would make a big difference in your lifestyle, ability to repay loans, etc.