telemedicine vs primary care

Well, yeah.  As medicine goes on to be completely retail, the need for large buildings full of people will disappear.  This has nothing at all to do with medicine improving but the fact it is now being packaged and sold per volume.

There is a strong belief, perpetuated by mass and social media, that every little change in your body needs to be "checked out", or else all the devils in hell will descend upon you.  This has led to offices being full of really trivial matters, shortening office visits to the point of ridiculousness.  Some administrator saw this, and saw a large bonus, and fashioned a drive through, where you could have your health related anxiety assuaged without EVEN LEAVING HOME!

Your pants were made on a machine that could make about a thousand an hour.  They rip, you just go buy a new pair.  You don't give a damn about your pants, because there are a million more just like it.  Thirty years ago, your pants (maybe not pants, but go with me on this) were maybe worth taking care of.  A little rip, you knew how to sew it up.  And you did.  You took care of your pants.  They lasted a long time.

pants are maybe not the best analogy, but the quicker and easier something is, the less you care about it.  

Well, that's all I got, time to go to work.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thinkertdm said:

There is a strong belief, perpetuated by mass and social media, that every little change in your body needs to be "checked out"...

^^^ This nails it.

"I sneezed this morning, and just wanted to come in and make sure it's not cancer."

"My cousin's next door neighbor heard about a kid over in Belgium that got strep throat two years ago.  My throat doesn't hurt but, I figured I would come in and get tested just in case.  I read on my quilting forum that strep can cause cancer in mice."

"My daughter had a fever of 99.2 one night, when we were on vacation in Maine last summer.  I decided to keep her out of school the Monday after Thanksgiving, just in case it came back.  At Christmas, the school asked for a medical note to excuse her for the Thanksgiving absence.  I figured since it's March break, I could bring her in and have you check her out.  I'm worried it might be some strange childhood cancer."

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thinkertdm said:

Well, yeah.  As medicine goes on to be completely retail, the need for large buildings full of people will disappear.  This has nothing at all to do with medicine improving but the fact it is now being packaged and sold per volume.

There is a strong belief, perpetuated by mass and social media, that every little change in your body needs to be "checked out", or else all the devils in hell will descend upon you.  This has led to offices being full of really trivial matters, shortening office visits to the point of ridiculousness.  Some administrator saw this, and saw a large bonus, and fashioned a drive through, where you could have your health related anxiety assuaged without EVEN LEAVING HOME!

Your pants were made on a machine that could make about a thousand an hour.  They rip, you just go buy a new pair.  You don't give a damn about your pants, because there are a million more just like it.  Thirty years ago, your pants (maybe not pants, but go with me on this) were maybe worth taking care of.  A little rip, you knew how to sew it up.  And you did.  You took care of your pants.  They lasted a long time.

pants are maybe not the best analogy, but the quicker and easier something is, the less you care about it.  

Well, that's all I got, time to go to work.

Honestly, that's one of the best analogies I have read on the subject and you are 100% right.  We live in a completely disposable society and world.  It's the main reason we are killing the planet, starting with all the trash we dump in the oceans.

• Like 1