Sign in to follow this  

Inpatient Hours / Schedule

Hi- I currently work as a Hospitalist PA at an academic medical center. Wondering what schedule other PAs have for Hospital Medicine PAs. The two most common schedules that I have discovered include:

1) 7 on, 7 off

2) 12 or 13 12 hour shifts/month

Any other models? What are your PTO benefits? Thanks!

We do the second option you listed, although we have a very large group (~50) and some of us do 7/7 by choice.

PTO is based on years with the hospital, but for most of us is 10.15 hours per 2-week pay period. They call it “33 days” but that’s 8 hour days. So it’s really 22 days of our 12 hour shifts.

Were you asking about other bennies or just PTO?

When I did inpatient, my schedule was a rotation of 3 12's week one and 4 12's week 2.  The docs did 7 on/7 off.  

Don't remember the benefits as it has been a few years.  

When I was working inpatient I worked 3 13hrs shifts per week with the option to pick up extra shifts. Loved my schedule with exception of my required night shifts. 

Another option I have heard for hospitalists at academic medical centers is 5 on (mon-friday), 2 off (sat and sun) and then 7 on and 7 off. You work every third weekend but on the weekends you work you pick up your partners list.

I'm CCM and we do 6x12s and 1x8 (that is always a 12) each 2 week pay period.  The hospitalist APPs do 4x10s.  We get 26x8 hour shifts, or 17x12 hour shifts of PTO each year.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Bears24
      EM PA here, our group is looking to moving towards single doc/PA coverage overnight, whereas we previously ended shifts around 1am. For all those who work shift work/overnights, wondering if you receive an overnight differential pay bump. If so, what is it? If you're more comfortable contacting me directly would be GREAT help. Attempting to get some data together to show higher ups its common for overnight diff in EM world. Also please include what state you work in and what specialty.

Thank you in advance!!!!
    • By dwilson
      I am currently on deployment with AMR in New York. I was wondering how I should count those hours on my CASPA application?
    • By AC2662
      Hello, 
      I have been working in family med the past few months as a PA and am looking for opinions from switching from family med to hospitalists? what are opinions on switching jobs? Stress load of hospitalist position vs family med? 

thanks !! 
    • By UCFPA
      Hello I’m a PA with 11 years experience who has worked in hospitalists medicine for over 9, various places.  I’ve been at the same low salary for the past 5 years. 105k 7 on 7 off capped at 8 admissions per day 3-11, no PTO no sick days (have to be made up). I had a talk with them and as a result Ive been offered 125k with quarterly bonuses with an increase in patients. 2500 cme with licenses and fees to come out of the 2500

Pros: Fully Autonomous, flexible on start time, good rapport with boss. Typically done with my cap in 7hrs per day. Essentially working 56 hrs every two weeks, making the hourly rate pretty good. Possibly able to still complete a shift in 9hrs with new cap proposal. 

Cons: Poor communication in the office. Sometimes travel between two facilities  

I reached out to another hospital system in town and the local competition is willing to pay 128k base with 10k bonus divided quarterly. 2500 cme and pay for licensing and fees.  Shift will be ten hrs. 2-midnight. No cap on admissions however told typically 6-7 admissions per night  
      Pros. No travel required, 
      Cons: no access to doc lounge (wth!), likely present every patient to supervising doc, don’t eat free with exception of “doc area” buffet that closes at the start of my shift. Longer shifts.
      My question is are these competitive numbers for the year we are in and also which seems to be the better option?
    • By PrePA1208
      I worked as a PRN rehab technician for about 3 months (roughly 20 hours a week) before I became Full-Time (40 hours a week).  How do I record this change in hours? Do I make two separate entries or average the hours per week?  My hours for PRN also varied each week, with weeks working up to 30 hours and sometimes only 15 hours. Do I need to record this somehow? I also do not understand how PA schools validate that the numbers of hours stated are honest. Is there some sort of validation document needed from each employer from past jobs.  Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More